Tuesday 9 February 2021

From MartijnN: Trolling the Pit of the Pendulum - Finally! (27 points)

 

I had been following the development of 3d printing for some time and had even backed some Kickstarters for digital files, even though I did not yet actually own a printer. Last December however I decided to take the plunge and bought an Anycubic Photon. Actually installing the infernal machine a few weeks ago and then getting it to work was not entirely self-evident for me though. I have had more failed prints than I care for, although the successful ones were very satisfying!

While wondering how on earth I was going to get through the Chambers of  Challenge, however, I remembered my Kickstarter files and decided to try some experiments.

Thus I now proudly present my first painted self-printed figure. It is a rather terrifying troll to get me through the Pit of the Pendulum. This figure is from the Scourge of Valtan Forest Kickstarter. The print itself was moderately successful; I think it is a bit soft in some of the details, and the base is not entirely as it should be, but I it works for me and I am still amazed at the fact that one is able to print figures of this quality, at home!




It is a rather modest paintjob. I undercoated the figure in white, but not in an even coat. Using contrast paints  that meant that the different underlying shades made for a rather uneven effect on the skin, which I quite like. A quick wash and a drybrush to finish.

So there we are. It is nominally a 28mm figure, but as it is a large creature I will claim it as a 40mm figure. So 7 points for the troll and 20 for the Pit and the Pendulum should add 27 points to my total. On to Golem’s Haunt!

5 comments:

  1. Impressive bit of home printing and painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fearsome looking beastie. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super troll - 3D printing is coming on in leaps and bounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work- when they work, they work very well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Martijn, good to see you using the new toy.

    ReplyDelete