Tuesday 9 February 2021

From LeeH - Oubliette - Undead Standard Bearer

This old figure is the last survivor of a lost army. The first wargame I played was Warhammer Fantasy Battle, back in the late 80's and early 90's. It was a logical choice for my group of friends because we were all committed D&D players so trying out a Fantasy wargame wasn't as big a step as it would seem. The first (and only) army I built for this rule system was an Undead Hord which included masses of shambling zombies, skeleton warriors in rusted armour, undead horsemen ready to sweep across the battlefield and even a Zombie Dragon that set me back a lot of money. The thing that made my army stand out was that of my group of 8 friends, I was the only one who fielded a fully painted army. Indeed most of the time I played against entire forces of grey unpainted miniatures (the horror!).


As a group, we only played this system for a few years and eventually, we moved on to other games and one by one we sold off our armies, mine included. I regret not keeping a few pieces of this army even if, looking back, the panting was shockingly poor. Then I recently found this model and realised he had somehow missed the cull, and survived in my collection long after his comrades had gone to another home. When I saw the Chamber of Challenge entitled Oubliette, I knew instantly what I was going to paint. 


I actually had four of the same model (no idea why I bought four) so this Grenadier figure from 1991 will go on display with his unpainted companions. Because he's the last survivor, and a reminder of my earliest days wargaming, I also made a small terrain base for it using some spare resin scenery I bought and didn't use in the last challenge. 


(Scoring: 1x28mm figure + CoC Bonus = 25 points)

10 comments:

  1. Pretty cool story Lee - gets my mind casting back to old-time figures of my own that I wished I still had around. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that stone ruin on the base- great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome figure and a great slice of Lee-gaming history. Good on you for fielding a fully painted army. I hate looking at unpainted/primed 'armies'. We've always stuck firm that if it's not painted then it can't go on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fine old school figure - and you are to be commended on your lifelong commitment to fielding painted armies. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old school figure with an old school story and first rate painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finish and nice back story!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find that I always wind up regretting it whenever I clear out old minis.
    Great work on this long forgotten figure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely again Lee, great looking figure 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really awesome and even more awesome for the story/real history. I had a few of this makers miniatures WAAAAAAY back when I started out. Great stuff and love the extra display base.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete