Saturday 13 February 2021

From MartinN: 20mm Soviets [120 points]

A new scale Hurrah! It's not like I've already got a good collection of 28mm and a somewhat smaller one of 15mm for WW2. No, I've had to branch out into 20mm as well it seems.

I actually blame this latest fools errant on our beloved SnowLord himself, who despite my strongest objections, didn't stop trying to lure me into the abyss. What kind of person must he be to do something like this to one of his weaker minded fellow men I ask you? Quite a devilish one, I tell you! 
Anyway, years later and quite a few bucks poorer, here I am with not only a readily playable force of 28mm Soviets for Chain of Command, but a fledgling one in 20mm as well. And all that while I actually don't really fancy gaming the Eastern Front.

Figures are the excellent AB Figures by Tony Barton as I decided if I was to embark on this daft adventure I could just as well do it in style. Painting wise I settled on using only base colour and two highlights as compared to my usual way of a quadrillion layers. An interesting change to be honest and it also speeded up my usually glacial painting speed no end.

You probably won't be surprised to hear reinforcements are already on their way, but obviously got stuck in the post-Brexit traffic jam debacle...


This submission consists of 31 miniatures of which one was already painted quite a while back. So 30x 4pts = 120 points. Quite a haul for this humble brush wrangler.

19 comments:

  1. These are simply superb Nick! If your new additions are anything like these(which I'm sure they will be) we are are in for a real treat.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work!
    Have you ever considered 10mm???

    ReplyDelete
  3. AB figures are just awesome and you've done a brilliant job on these 👏
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, your work is stunning Nick. You achieved some vibrant tones without losing the drab theme. First class basing too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Nick -- love the basing in particular and the medal one of the guys is sporting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully painted- you really brought them to life and make working with desaturated colours look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful painting, why I don't know but they look splendid!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eaaachelent... My plan comes to fruition. ;)

    Superb work Nick. Trouble is that your stuff looks so amazing that I want to bin my own collection! :P Seriously, I know this is a 'stripped down' version of your regular painting but I have to say the final effect is just as impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smashing finish for rapid work here Nick. More punchy tunics than most Soviet armies, a refreshing change.

    Points tallied, onwards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic stuff, I’m most impressed with how much you make olives and greens pop with “only two highlights”! Smashing work on the faces too, really brings them together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. truly awesome work! Might I bother you by asking what paints you've used for the trousers/ tunics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander! I'm away with work currently but will get back to you at the weekend.

      Delete
    2. OK, Sander here you go:
      Trousers were done
      Shadow: VMC 70.894 Cam. Olive Green
      Base: VMC 70.924 Russian Uniform WWII
      Highlight: VMC 70.924 Russian Uniform + VMC 70.821 Ger. C. Beige

      Tunics:
      Shadow: VMC 70.924 Russian Uniform WWII
      Base: VMC 70.924 Russian UNiform + VGC 72.035 Dead Flesh
      Light: VGC 72.035 Dead Flesh

      Delete
  12. Your “only two highlights” stuff is fantastic as always!! Great to see you titling into 20mm Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm utterly impressed by the detail of your painting work. I would have thought to be 28mm at least rather than 28mm

    ReplyDelete
  14. Martin - your work continues to impress. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Only just spotted these, God knows how. They're absolute corkers! Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete