Wednesday 10 March 2021

From Guy B: [The Pit and the Pendulum] Medieval Norse (145 points)

When I thought about swinging blades and something terrifying, I naturally thought of the Vikings. These seaborne marauders struck fear and terror into their enemies. The models here aren't dark ages, however. They are Medieval Norse.

Imagine these grim and well-armoured battle veterans swinging their great ages... only a few infantry would be brave enough to stand against them.

The models I used were primarily Fireforge Scandinavian warriors, with additional parts from their Byzantine, Russian and Crusader plastic sets. I even took a head or two from the Gripping Beast sets to add in variety.

The primary colours I chose were red and yellow, representing the closest I could get to Norwegian heraldry colours of the time. Some of the great axes are bardiches, these do date from the 14th century but similar weapons are known from 1250, so I thought 'what the hell!'.

The shields are loosely based on Norwegian heraldry, namely national colours and the noble house of Römer, with a distinctive white and black diagonal on the shields.

These will be based up for Lion Rampant, and perhaps for larger battles if I can get more painted. I like Lion Rampant as the armies are achievable in a reasonable timescale. I have done some multi basing, in case I use them with other systems.

So now I have the start of a Norwegian army for Largs (1263). I make it 25 models @ 5 points each, plus the 20 point bonus. 145 points methinks?


A mighty crew of fearsome raiders to be sure! I do like the compatibility of the Fireforge sets, and you've done a great job with these Guy! 145 points it is

Cap'n Wednesday

9 comments:

  1. Great looking kit bashed scandihooligans!
    Lovely finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! What great looking troops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Guy, no doubt some inspiration for the Norwegians from your most recent WSS that I read on the Kindle a few days ago ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific brushwork Guy! I particularly like the shields.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some very pointy weapons there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fantastic work, but it looks like you will be the WSS rearguard

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice painting - like the mix of spear and two handed weapons on the base. Looks a tough unit! Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  8. great stuff Guy, really nice

    cheers
    matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice work, love the vibrant colours

    ReplyDelete