Tuesday 4 January 2022

From MikeP: 6mm French Napoleonics and 28mm Victorian Civilians (45 points)

 Hello friends:

I'm very glad to be part of this year's Challenge, having participated in some and observed others, it's good to be back again.   My plan before March 20 is to focus on my current painting love, the Seven Years War, but who am I kidding, it will end up being a varied bunch of odds and sods.

Speaking of which, here are two regiments of French Napoleonic infantry in 6mm from Baccus, 48 little chaps in all if you count them.  I've learned to love this small scale because the overall effect is impressionistic, you want to paint the unit and not the figure.  

The 6mm scale also gives an affordable way to create mass battles, which can look stunning with the attention to scenery.  The small scale also means I don't have to obsess over Napoleonic details that might get the pendants all worked up.  For example, these fellows are described in the Baccus catalogue as "1806-1812 Elite French Infantry" so I gave them all red shako plumes so I can call them Veteran or Elite troops as the game requires and easily pick them out on the table.





Much as I love Baccus minis, before the Challenge is done, I'm hoping to fire up my 3D printer after I overcome some out of the box teething issues and show you some of the amazing 6mm Naps being done by Turner Miniatures.

Next up are these four 28mm figures from Foundry in the UK, from their Victorian civilian range.   They are intended as table dressing for ACW era gaming, as well as for my alt-ACW US invasion of Upper Canada campaign.


They're painted using Foundry's tri-tone paint system, which I've slowly been learning to use.   I like to think the colour gradients can be seen in the grey suit and blue dress in particular.




I can't think of a way to connect these figures to any of the Quadrant planets, so I'll content myself with 45 points (48 x .05 plus 4 x 5).

Cheers and thanks for looking,  
Mike P







Ave, Padre! Welcome back to the Challenge. Very neat work on the 6mm French Naps and nice use of the Foundry method on the Victorian civvies. Your maths is slightly off - that's 44 points, but I'll add 1 point for overcoming the stress of discovering that your blog invite hadn't worked!

Tamsin

24 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the Challenge, Mike!

    Lovely work here. Those 6mm Baccus look excellent (going to check out Turner Miniatures) and I love those Victorian civilians, especially the ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Mike, welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking 6mm Napoleonics and lovely Victorian civilians!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start Mike! 6mm scale looks so tempting (I actually have dreamed of huge hills and forest and so on in 6mm scale recently). 3 color system is rocking as well, the dress is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like those 28mm civilians, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done Mike, the Baccus stuff is nice, but look forwards to seeing what you do with the 3D prints.
    Splendid Victorians too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic results with the tiny gronards!! The 28mm oustanding work too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grand yo haver you along . Love the Naps

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back Mike, lovely bit of 6mm Naps 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  10. The units of Naps look good. As you say, it's about the unit, not the models. The civilians look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the gradient you obtained in the grey suit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi especially like the Foundry figures ...

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely work on these figures

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year Mike!
    I am intrigued by your mention of Foundry tri-tone paint system, I like the way these figures turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. More info on Foundry paints:
      https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/pages/the-foundry-paint-system

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sarah. More info on Foundry paints:
      https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/pages/the-foundry-paint-system

      Delete
  15. Great work Padre Mike, love those itty bitty Nappies. Nice civilians too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've got my eye on Turner minis too. Love the civvies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely work- especially in the teeny tiny fellows.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh, I love the little French chappies! The Victorians are great too!

    ReplyDelete