Thursday 24 February 2022

From ChrisK: More Early-War French Vehicles (140pts)

Hullo, All,


I've been a little poorly recently, so I'll be light on the words in this entry, but I did at least manage to get some pics done in the lightbox! Thanks again, Barks, by the way, for your supportive advice.

To cut to the chase, I continue to plough through by pile of 1940 French, and today, I present to you a vertitable melange of efforts - I'll outline them here, and then a few more notes will follow with the pics:

  • Panhard 178 Armoured Car;
  • Laffly W15 Tank Hunter;
  • Renault R40;
  • a requisitioned civilian truck, and
  • three Renault FT-17s.
Panhard 178: 

This is the Warlord Games model, and - since taking the photos - I have noticed and fixed the surpised look on the commander's face!







Laffly W15 Tank Hunter: 
Armed with the formidable 47mm anti-tank gun, this model is a resin print, courtesy of a friend of mine, from an STL designer who goes by 'Eskice'. 




This came with an accompanying 3D-printed crew, but they needed some... er... corrective surgery, so they're not yet done.

Renault R40: 
This is a combination of an old resin hull with FDM-printed tracks and turret, and I'm pleased to note that it was a wonderfully appropriate gift for my 40th birthday.





Requisitioned Fordson Truck:
This is a die-cast model (always my preference for soft-skin transports), and I used it to practise one of the wackier approaches to vehicular camo practised by the French. Reference pics of such vehicles are somewhat tricky to pin-down, but I did read a couple of times about local units applying their own patterns to suddenly-requisitioned transports, so it struck me that someone might well have wanted to get creative... 
...or maybe it was a little too much requisitioned Absinthe?



Renault FT-17s

Finally, and from the same source as the Laffly tank-hunter, my friend also printed me a trio of baby FT-17s, with both MG and AT turret variants. There's not a huge amount to say about these, other than that they are greener on the lower hull than they might appear in these pics, wherein the drybrushed brown seems to have been picked up far more. 







For seven vehicles at this scale, then, I would like to claim 140 points, please. I felt a little guilty about claiming the full-whack for the FTs, but then I figured they each have an extra turret and the time spent on that wretched truck might hopefully make up for it!

Thanks for swinging by; keep up the great work,

- ChrisK
 
This is a brilliant showcase of early-war Gallic variety- bravo! Of course you may claim each of these as a full 20 point vehicle. For me, the star of the show is the truck canvas. The Laffly is a delightfully odd truck as well.

Barks

22 comments:

  1. The pattern on the Fordson truck is wild! I hope you get to feeling better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      It was surprisingly fun. And I'm recovering - thanks!

      Delete
  2. Great looking vehicles, the camo pattern is wicked!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Iain! It was an enjoyable challenge, that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. This is great entry! You need to explain how you painted the lorry cammo, please!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anibal! As it happens, I blogged about the unfinished work-in-progress here: https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/wssblog/1940-campaign-french-part-4-vehicular-shenanigans/

      Delete
  4. Very nice French vehicles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of nice vehicles, nice variations on the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teemu - my main Bolt Action force is NWE British, so the vehicles tend to be rather monochrome. This made for a change.

      Delete
  6. Very crisp and clean painting Sir. Love the camo on the truck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous looking early war French kit! Love the camo on the truck and the weathering on the AC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter.

      It's funny - I weather all of my vehicles in pretty much the same way, and yet with some vehicles it really seems to just 'work'.

      Delete
  8. Loving these early-war French vehicles. Great work man!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chris:
    Brilliant work. I have some of Eskice's files, he's someone to watch for sure. Lovely to see so much French kit, magnifique! That camo scheme - man, that's some dedicated brushwork. If I as a Stuka pilot, I'd just fly in circles admiring it, and then go bomb someone else.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a delightful comment - that's just made my evening; thanks, Mike!

      Delete