Thursday 24 February 2022

From AlanD: Yes! More Romanians! (52.5 points)

 

I haven't managed to get too much done this week, although what I have done has been from Romania.


First up, I got hold of a Stoewer field car from Great Escape Games. This little resin and metal ket comes with three Afrika Korps crew, but with some blankets and new or modified headgear fashioned from greenstuff I think it will be a passable little recce vehicle for my army.



The other entry this week needs a bit of explanation. Earlier in the Challenge I painted some Romanian Panzer 35(t)s. I bought these from Great Escape as a platoon deal of 3, but missed the fact that they all had closed turrets, whereas buying them separately would have given me open hatches. I do like adding crew when I can, so I wrote to Stuart from Great Escape, and he very kindly sent me a couple of resin turrets. Unfortunately, we got our wires crossed, and he thought I didn't need the white metal guns that usually come with the turrets. As a result, I spent a good chunk of last Saturday afternoon fashioning some gun barrels out of brass rod and greenstuff, and I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Although the turret numbers are different (which will irk me), I now have spare turrets for two of my tanks. The plan is to use the ones with commanders until the tank gets pinned, and then replace the turrets with the buttoned-up version. This will bring me joy.



Not quite sure how to score these. The Stoewer is worth 20 points, with another 7.5 I suppose for three seated figures? As for the turrets, I suggest calling them crew served weapons for 10 points each, with another 5 for the commanders. As always, I bow before Barks's wisdom and judgement, but if this sounds right, then I should get about 52.5 points.

Great work on your vehicles as usual, Dux. I like your pinned/ unpinned solution- it brings much more joy than a cardboard chit! I'll allow your points solution, swayed by the scratch-built guns and flattery.

Barks

8 comments:

  1. That is some fancy customization work! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More post finished Romanians hurrah! Lovely, nice scratch building too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work all around. Love the bundled up ex DAK folk. Got a big chuckle about how the different turret numbers will irk you. I resemble that remark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, I got cold just looking at these photos.
    You should get extra points for improvising those brilliant gun barrels, awesome. Adapt and overcome!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete