Thursday 24 February 2022

From GeoffreyT: Star Trekking and High Fantasy (45 points)

Hello again.

In a quite uncharacteristic manner, I am making a post devoid of bonus points.

A friend of mine gave me 6 of these Star Trek marines to help replace my failed Stargrave warband with.  Hopefully they will be more successful.


There was only two variants, so I varied the outfit, hair and skin colours to mix it up a bit, all the whilst keeping them in Star Trek theme.  These minis were formerly from Harlequin miniatures, but are not manufactured by their successor Black Tree, probably due to licensing issues, as they have the Star Trek logo on them.


I am very pleased to have gotten these 6 miniatures, I really like them.


The next three pieces are from Iron Wind Metals, they are contemporary casts of old Ral Partha models.  I was planned on using them for the Good v Evil theme, but ended up using Imperial theme on the said planet instead.

This is what was planned.  Goodly Centaurs v Evil manticore.


Here we have the ferocious Manticore.  The face is characterful, humanoid and monstrous at the same time.  Could do with being painted better tho.


The wings I am pleased with,  I copied the colour scheme from the Iron Wind metals website.




The goodly centaurs of the forest come in both armoured and archer form.


The female centaur has modestly covered her breasts, yet leaves her rear end exposed.


This then creates all sorts of quandaries as to why?

Does the centaur lady feel less modest about her animal parts?  Is it hard to get pants that fit her horses arse?  Or simply are her arms too short to put pants onto her rear legs ?

I discussed this matter with a friend, who then produced this fine work of philosophical art, making the centaur pants question no clearer.


***

So we have 9 x 28mm miniatures for 45 points,

a squirrel for Star Trek marines,

and an unresolved quandary,

Until next week

Geoff


Dual-wielding in Star Trek? Why have I not seen more of this! They should be great for Stargrave. Your colour schemes hide the lack of sculpting variety. Good work on your monsters as well. The pants quandary is one of life's great questions. Centaurs in general have a lot of anatomical issues, as far as I am concerned.

Barks


9 comments:

  1. Nice marines, you have hidden the limitations of poses very well. I like the monsters as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Armoured centaurs? Star Trek marines? There are so many things I have never heard of, that I get to see in the Painting Challenge. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on these figures. I remember those old Ral Parthia scuplts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, Geoff! :)

    A centaur that's half-horse, half-centaur would be 3/4 horse. Maybe it would have 3 pairs of horse legs and one set of human arms?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! Love this. The underpants diagram is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your centaur dilemma reminds me of these immortal words…
    "It's a mystery. Broken into a jigsaw puzzle. Wrapped in a conundrum. Hidden in a Chinese box. A riddle."
    — The Riddler, The Long Halloween

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid star trek marines, manticore and centaurs!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. This splendid post fills me with questions.
    Why a phaser rifle in each hand?
    Why not a centaur in full armour?
    Who helps the centaur into that armour? A Centaur squire?
    Can a centaur knight joust?
    Can a centaur knight be unhorsed?
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete