Saturday 19 February 2022

From DarrellH, Spanish Sword and Buckler/Rodeleros - Army of Gonzalo de Córdoba, "El Gran Capitán" (130 points)

Apologies to everyone for the delay in getting this, my second post together. Things at my end have been tough of late and I'm going through some quite severe mental health problems. Not dissimilar to last year only more intense. Mental Health struggles combined with the great varnishing disaster (see my previous post) which saw me switching from a prepped and primed Late Roman army back to raw metal has delayed me somewhat. It's been slow going.....

The Sword and Buckler/Rodeleros are actually the first four bases of Sword and buckler that will sit at the front of a rather large pike block! (Ken aka Yarkshire Gamer would be proud!) 

Yep, I have quite a way to go before that comes into being so for now I've plonked them all together as one unit. A unit that, for the time being, could be used for Swordpoint, Hail Caesar etc.












24 x 5 would be a whopping 120 points by my calculation.

From Millsy:

Oh man, I don't know where to start with these Darrell. Everything about them absolutely floats my boat from the choice of subject matter, to the colour palette and the wonderfully smooth blends and transitions.

I know you are struggling mate, but if this is what you are capable of when not at your best then serious kudos to you! Thanks for sharing that you are in a hard place at the moment, it takes guts to say it and I can only hope that being open about it and knowing that the whole Challenge crew is behind you makes some small positive impact on your state of mind and path to recovery.

120 points by your calculation plus 5 for the flag and another 5 for the wonderful shields from me. Amazing. Just utterly amazing work. More please!

32 comments:

  1. These are absolutely amazing, well done. Far better than anything I could do. Hope things improve on the health front for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Spaniards, Darrell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fantastic figures, I must get into this period! Full of colour and energy. Great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SAS. The Italian Wars is perhaps the most colourful of "periods". It can drive you a bit mad when it comes to sorting out the heraldry, which is always a work in progress.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful painting Darrell! No matter which period you tackle it always looks bloody amazing. Love the rich colours. Hope your mh improves. My kudos to you for speaking out on it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. I've always been a bit apprehensive about speaking about my mental health but with the onset of the pandemic and the spiraling down I have experienced it practically became a necessity. I just hope people don't tire of my talking about it :)

      Delete
  5. Your figures are incredible. Well done on speaking up about your mental health - I wish you nothing but the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bloody hell those are magnificent! Kudos to you for broaching the wall on mental health issues, hoping that things start to get easier for you shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. It's a subject that still needs to be discussed more. I lost mate to suicide last year. I'm absolutely determined that I am going to make a recovery. It can be two steps forward, one back but the important things is to keep going. :)

      Delete
  7. That level of painting, just spectacular, great job! And I hope you get better and can field this great army on table.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smashing work! The colours are spot on and the highlights are just right. I’m just trying multibasing myself for the first time and am curious as to any tips…. Do you stick them to the base and then paint or paint and then stick? And is the groundwork post or pre sticking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and yeah, the main thing is to use good quality thick PVA to glue the miniatures to the mdf bases. That way you can move the miniatures to get the best interaction. Avoids them all just looking forwards like lemons lol. Then use filler/spackle. Then more PVA and sand. A thin layer of VMC Dark Sand, leave to dry. Then a dry brush of Iraqi Sand and Pale sand. Add tufts to taste and you're done :) Hope that helps?

      Delete
  9. Great to see you being productive again Darrell, your stuff has always been inspirational over the years. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Darrell:
    You're a gifted painter and I add my poor sentiments and admiration to what's already been said. This is a truly fantastic entry, one of the best in this year's challenge. I'm prooud of you for naming your own challenge and I'm confident that you'll persevere. We're all cheering for you and you're in my prayers.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mike. I'm working hard at improving my mental health as well as trying to get into more of a rhythm with my painting.

      Delete
  11. I’m to sorry to hear that you have not been well and sincerely hope things get better! These figures are absolutely amazing and a post like this just makes my day! Very inspiring. Well done indeed Darrell, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emjenic. For both the encouragement and the kind words about the painting :)

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous looking figures, it's a great period, good luck pulling through!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are rather fabulous. Love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spectacular Darrell. Hope you’re feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hang in there. These are absolutely brilliant. Another draw to a period I have never looked into or played. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful work, Darrell. Hope things are improving.

    ReplyDelete