Saturday 19 February 2022

From TeemuL: Planet of the Apes [Terra] (45 points)

Going to the always mysterious and surprising Terra, home of the most miniatures in the known universe. Well, we find ourselves again at the wrong end of the shooty things, that Starpriest most likely altered timeline somehow, not a nice surprise...

As soon as I heard of the Challenge Quadrant, I knew there was one planet, which I would have spot on entry. Then I was confused, because I couldn't find the planet on the map. Luckily I realized, that it was there on with it's alternative name, Terra. Yes, the Planet of the Apes, the great source of poor sequels and remakes. Crooked Dice has created a few not-Planet-of-Apes apes, these are Simian Minions, but I think they work quite ok. :)


I had a few of these before, but I bought these mounted versions later with one of the regulars, which was on discount. Rather simple but effective paintjob, Contrast paints.


They are glossy after a gloss varnish, I wanted to varnish these and other stuff today, since the weather was ok. So I was in hurry, varnished them before taking photos - or waiting for the glue to dry.


I will claim the planet points of Terra from this entry, since these apes from the Planet of the Apes are clearly earthbound. I hope everyone knows the story, but I won't make any further spoilers here. So this is two mounted and one metal miniature in 28mm for total of 25 points and 20 points for Terra.

I'm not certain about the Squirrel, but since they are a faction of their own and score nicely 25 points, I think I can do it? I have scored general Pulp Squirrel already, but if these Simian Minions of 7TV qualify, this will be another Squirrel. Let's see what the Squirrelmaster says.

From Millsy:

These are really fun and a bit different from the usual sci-fi stuff. I'm a big fan of the 7TV system and the fact they are making it possible to game so widely in the TV settings we had grown up on and continue to love.

I'm sure one the varnish and glue dries they will look more like the damn dirty apes they are. And I'm not going to comment on which of this year's minions are the most simian :-P

45 points added to your total mate!

24 comments:

  1. You've done a great job on these Teemu. Helps that they are great sculpts too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done Teemu! Those apes look like you wouldn’t want to mess with them

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ve done a great job with these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha! I have painted some of them before, so it was rather simple.

      Delete
  4. Lovely figures and a very effective paint job, here’s hoping the case of “the shines” goes down with the Matt varnish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie! I usually give my minis two coats of varnish, one gloss and one matt. It has worked so far, almost 30 years. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks Millsy! Crooked Dice really does some excellent look-a-like minis and they are nice to paint, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these figures just like I love the old movies. Take your hands off me, you damned stinking miniature!
    I wonder if Curt will be using Simian Minions next year?
    Well done. Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! I like these, just as I like old movies. Hmmm. Maybe some of those should converted to use whip?

      Delete
  7. I really like these rather unusual figures and you have done a great job painting them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They have good amount of texture for Contrast paints.

      Delete
  8. Planet of the Apes! Great stuff Teemu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, I really like those old movies (or at least the first two of them).

      Delete
  9. Good fun, Teemu! Great choice for Terra!

    ReplyDelete