Saturday 12 February 2022

From Peter B: Stargrave 28mm and Epic Trolls - Challenge XII star - (59 Points)

Well, greetings all, from the centre of the galaxy. I seem to have made my way to the challenge star already. Don't think I shall be complacent though, I still have plenty of painting to come for the rest of the challenge. The leadpile never diminishes.

Millsy challenged me to paint some more Stargrave or Epic 40k for access to the Challenge star, so why not do both? 



First three Stargrave crew. I have waxed lyrical about how I love these plastic kits on my own blog here. They are a delight to put together and if you mix them with just a smattering of other spare bits from other plastic kits you can make some awesome characters.

Very briefly, the lady on the left has some arms from Frostgrave and I think a Mantic halfling head. The chap in the middle has all the spare backpack parts I could find and a bit of paperclip for an antenna (if you don't have bits of paperclip floating around your modelling desk who are you?) The chap on the right has a Frostgrave head. I can imagine him staggering through a blizzard then trying to decide which of his colleagues is actually a shapeshifting gribbly monster from another planet.



Then I have a little bit more for my Chaos Epic 6mm army. I originally rejected these trolls as a bit silly and not really a good fit for a Chaos army, but they are part of the original battle force sprue. After painting some I decided I love them after all. I've fully embraced the old school 40k vibe. Those were the days when half of 40k was populated with characters from fantasy. (shock horror, you could save money by using models for more than one thing!) So I embraced the old school look and although their skin is painted in new fangled contrast paint, I went for shocking orange hair.

Only a small amount this week, there is a hell of a lot still half done on my painting table though.

Points tally

  • 14 x 6mm trolls = 7 points [Millsy - scored as 10mm infantry = ]
  • 3 x 28mm Stargrave crew = 15 points

Total 22 points (although do I get something for the Challenge star, I couldn't find anywhere how much?)

From Millsy:

I like a man who sees the word "either" and decides it reads "both". It speaks to a proper state of hobby investment, a level of belief that you can never have enough projects or enough miniatures for those projects. He/she/they who dies with the most wins!

Cracking work all around Peter, especially the kitbashing of fantasy and sci-fi minis together. If only a certain Skywalker chap had only had a decent woolly hat he'd likely not have ended up shoved inside something that had it's own insides on the outside.

In terms of points I cannot find anything specific for achieving galactic nirvana so I'm going to make an executive decision and call it 30 points. It can't be worth less than a warp maelstrom now can it?

Well done mate, another 59 points all up.

PS. Nice to see an epic troll somewhere other than the comments section :-P

8 comments:

  1. Epic trolls and a very nice crew! Congrats filling the Star requirements!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting to the star Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. ‘ (if you don't have bits of paperclip floating around your modelling desk who are you?)’ … off to move some paper clips from my work desk to my hobby desk!
    Wonderful job on making it to the centre of the galaxy! The trolls’ hair is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on reaching the centre! Lovely work on th SG conversions

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I should get my hands on some of those sprues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done Peter. The Stargrave chap in the red, is he taking part in a snowball fight? Clever conversions.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I am honest, my initial response to the Stargrave figures was quite cool but your has me rethinking getting some. I like both how you have assembled them and how you have painted them.

    ReplyDelete