Saturday 12 February 2022

From Codsticker: Mounted Rohirrim (80pts)

 I am continuing on with my salvage project of these second hand LoTR models. 


All 8 these models came to me in some state of disrepair: the spear, one sword and one bow were broken, 3 horses broken off at the fetlock (a serious design flaw in the kit as the models only mount to the base by a single leg) and 4 of the horses and riders primed black.

I went with black for most of the mounts already primed; as I was running out of time I didn't give any of them blazes or socks. The 4 with hand weapons: 

Once I started painting I wished I had re-primed them in grey ( my usual) as I found it a little difficult painting over black and seeing the detail. The 4 with bows:


Only two horse sculpts in the kit; as there are 6 on a sprue a third horse trotting would have been nice, but still very nice models, quite good detail.


As that is 8, 28mm mounted models, I believe that is 80 points, taking me above my goal of a modest 350 pts. Painting some of the LoTR models went faster than I anticipated so I am well leased to have exceeded my target only 2/3 of the way through the campaign.

From Millsy:

There are few things I enjoy more than seeing models getting a new lease of life.

I've seen absolutely mountains of LotR miniatures in horrible states of repair on fleaBay but always been put off by the relative delicacy of the models, figuring maybe they would be too hard to save. Having seen these Rob I am certainly revising my opinion considering how good these look! Broken weapons and even legs they may have had to start with but you'd never know now. These are fit to grace any table mate. Well done indeed!

Congrats on reaching your initial target, it's definitely a satisfying moment. There's still a good few weeks left so would you care to set a new higher target?

10 comments:

  1. These look great. It's very satisfying saving some old second models isn't it? Plus it's recycling, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Rohirrim look smashing and absolutely ready for a prolonged lease of life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice salvage operation, I have something similar on my todo list. Very nice paintjob!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great salvage work on these, they came out lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so fortunate that these figures fell into your capable hands and not a trash pile somewhere. They look stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great resurrection on theses figures. Finished product looks excellent

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking Rohirrim, Rob. Nice to see someone else resurrecting miniatures for the battle damaged pile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rob:
    I have a whole box full of GW LOTR horses in similar distress, not just the Riders but their Gondorian cavalry set. The horses would snap off the bases if you looked sidelong at them and whispered "Oliphaunt". Your excellent restoration work makes me want to have a go at them.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete