Monday 14 March 2022

From Mike W - 28mm Viking Berserkers (90 Points)

This post utilises a number of figures from the Warlord Games Ancient British plastic set, I originally got these figures as I thought I could convert several of these into Viking Berserkers. This I successfully did a number of years ago - but never got around to finishing the job, which I have now....

The completed group of Viking Berserkers

I have taken the view that the Viking Berserkers would be a group of guys who could not stomach the discipline needed to stand in a shield wall, thus the dynamic poses offered by this set are a good starting point to represent a group of warriors who would charge dead long into the enemy.

A close view of some of them

There are tales of Berserkers going into battle naked with just their weapons in their hands (Ooh Err!) However I have opted for them being largely bare chested & bare headed, with or without a shield or two weapons. No one really wants to see a a lot of meat and two veg on display! 😀


And another angle

As with most of these dark ages figures - I gave them a sprayed on white undercoat which dried quickly with a good finish and my first stop was to paint in all the flesh on show.

All five of the guys with two weapons and no shield

Next up was a variety of muted blues, greens & brown colours for their clothes before adding in appropriate wood, leather & metalwork. Once dry I used a variety of suitable coloured inks to add shading, I then highlighted with base colours again.

The three guys with a spear and a shield

Each figure was then coated with Matt varnish before being based in my usual manner.

Six of eth guys with bare chests!

The final four guys, one with a cloak

POINTS

18 x 28mm Foot Figures  = 90 Points


__________________________

Great work on these Berserkers, Mike! Your efforts in giving each of these figures their own characters has really paid off. That fellow in the front with the buff shield looks like Rollo from 'Vikings'.  Well done!

- Curt

7 comments:

  1. This is a nice entry, too, Mike! Very nice poses and good looking paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking bunch of beserkers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on these berserkers Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike these figures are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mike:
    Glad you resisted the temptation to go au naturel with these guy, I was similarly glad that my ancient Germanic figures in this year's Challenge all had pants, or at least, diapers! Your lot look very ferocious.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shock troops! In my games, berserkers are real arrow magnets!

    ReplyDelete