Monday 14 March 2022

From DougM - Lightning Elephants- Corsucant (sic) - (76 Points)

Not exactly a points bomb, and I am sure no surprise after my 1/200 Japanese WW2 aircraft...  this very versatile hex mat is no longer Kent, it is in fact, paddy fields on Asian islands. 


So first some Army Lightnings. The hard part was finding ways to make a very dull colour scheme a little bit interesting. 




And the Navy is here... F4F Wildcats. As usual, I didn't make them for a particular squadron, but kept them generic. 



Finally, you know when you think an 'army' is finished, and you spot something? Well, it doesn't come much more 'Imperial' conflict than the Indian Mutiny, and who could resist a splendid (and very well priced) AW Miniatures Elephant drawn limber? I think this will be my Deployment Point for Sharp Practice.



That's my 'Imperial' for Coruscant planet bonus, making a total of:

12 x 10mm 'vehicles' @3 each = 36
1 x 28mm 'vehicle' @20 = 20
Planet Bonus = 20 for a total of 76 points. 

Hopefully more to come this week... 


And Squirrels..  now up to 10 I think.

  • 1/200 WW2 Japanese Aircraft
  • 1/200 WW2 US Aircraft
  • 1/200 WW2 British Aircraft
  • 1/200 WW2 German Aircraft
  • 1/144 WW1 British Aircraft (not quite enough for WW1 German Aircraft (doh!))
  • 28mm German Armour
  • 28mm 12th SS Panzer infantry
  • 28mm Indian Mutiny Sepoys
  • 28mm Dr Who
  • 28mm Austrian Napoleonics
I was curious about the content of this post based on the title.  I was kind of expecting Incendiary Pigs or some other Anti-elephant ploy that used to exist on the WRG army lists.  However I am well satisfied with what you've presented Doug.  Love the aircraft and that Elephant is just the bees' knees.  Really good work on the saddle blanket and mahout. 

14 comments:

  1. Well that elephant was a delightful surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great looking elephant, Doug! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin it's a bit darker in the picture than in the flesh, and I decided elephants are brown, not grey!

      Delete
  3. Those Asian islands look remarkably same as Kent, but I'll take your word! Nice planes, you have found a good green-brown paint. Good work on the elephant, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teemu, it's Vallejo Middlestone, with Agrax Earthshade wash, then highlghted back with Niddlestone, and then Middlestone mixed with a bit of ivory.

      Delete
  4. Awesome elephant and lovely US planes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. That elephant is brilliant Doug. It's one of those "Ah yes Indian Mutiny!" type things that instantly points to a place and time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, the elephant is so cool!

    Fine work on the planes...it is funny, I have this huge soft spot for the early-war US naval aircraft, in particular the Wildcat and the Devestator torpedo bomber (which I think was an especially doomed, design, right?). I think of those poor Wildcat pilots trying to stay alive against the nimble Zero fighters, doing the "Thatch Weave" (sp?) for all they could...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same about the Early War stuff. Later it feels much too one-sided. I am still hunting for decent stl files for the Devastator and some of the other US designs. When I find them, thy will be added to the fleet.

      Delete
  7. Those planes are awesome and conjure up memories of watching Saturday evening episodes of the Black Sheep squadron with my dad although they were equipped with Corsairs if memory serves me well! I have a similar elephant for my IM project lying around, I might just take yours as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do now have the files to print Corsairs, so they will be next... :)

      Delete
  8. I am very partial to a Heffalump and this one is quite a handsome and well dressed specimen. Seeing smartly painted aircraft like yours always makes me want to get into flying games, I have to limit that enthusiasm.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Padre, the beauty of flying games is how few models you actually need, and how quick they are to paint... I confess to letting the impulse get the better of me and having a 3d resin printer and access to free STL files makes temptation hard to resist.

      Delete
  9. Nice work on the aeroplanes and elephant!

    ReplyDelete