Monday 14 March 2022

From FrederickC: The Final Quadrant Challenge (92.5 points)

"Bring me a fine collection of Lord of the Rings Figures."

And now we face the final Quadrant Challenge, the Challenge XII Star itself. Our original ship was too battered to continue, suffering from failing engines and an outer hull that was showing stress cracks. It was time to switch to something lighter that had a greater thrust to mass ratio to be able to navigate in the gravitational field of the quadrant star.

 

"Engage!"

As requested by the orb, I present a gathering of Lord of the Rings figures, both Good and Evil, that I hope will be pleasing to the Snowlord. Some of these have been in the painting queue for several years, while others are recent purchases to add to the collection. All were painted in my usual style, starting with a coat of black primer, followed by Vallejo acrylics, and then a mix of ink washes and/or highlights until I got the look I wanted. May they be deemed worthy of the Final Challenge.

The first group is a trio of Orc Trackers that have been in the 'PENDING' box for a number of years. These appear in the Barad-dûr section of the latest version of the Armies of Middle Earth manual, but now seem to be out of production. In addition to their role as trackers, they will also be useful to depict dismounted Warg riders.




Next up are the three Orc Captains, Gorbag, Grishnákh, and Shagrat (holding Frodo's mithril shirt). Like the Orc Trackers, they have also been in the 'PENDING' box for a while. These appear in the army lists in the Mordor section.


Gorbag, Grishnákh, and Shagrat

Shagrat, Grishnákh, and Gorbag


The last of the Evil characters is an Orc Shaman, who also appears in the Barad-dûr section of the latest version of the Middle Earth army lists. He looks pretty badass with his collection of skulls. This is another metal figure that I have had for a while. A plastic version of the figure is available from Games Workshop as a boxed set which includes one mounted on a Warg.


Three skulls (not that I am counting)

 

The first group for the Good side are three leaders of the Ithilien Rangers - Faramir, Captain of Gondor, Madril, Captain of Ithilien, and Damrod, Ranger of Ithilien. These are a very recent purchase and came as a blister containing all three figures. They will be ready to command the company of Rangers that I painted last April.


Faramir, Madril, and Damrod

Damrod, Madril, and Faramir

The last offering is Éowyn (as Dernhelm) and Meriadoc, Squire of Rohan. While I had already painted metal miniatures of Éowyn, I was so impressed by the newer plastic set of figures that Barks had submitted for the Challenge, I had to buy a box for myself. I especially liked the way Merry can be placed in front of Éowyn, or removed as the scenario requires. Not having any contrast paints in my arsenal, I used my usual technique of starting with a black primer, followed by Vallejo acrylics, with highlights and washes as needed to get the final result. Since the metal miniatures I had depicted Éowyn without a helmet, I went with the 'helmet on' version with the plastic set.

 

Éowyn with Merry

Éowyn with Merry

Éowyn without Merry

Éowyn without Merry

Éowyn and Merry on foot


Merry and Éowyn on foot

New and old mounted version of Éowyn

Old and new dismounted version of Éowyn


The points being claimed are as follows:

1 x 28mm mounted figure @ 10 points = 10 points

12½ x 28mm foot figure @ 5 points = 62.5 points

(I am counting the mounted version of Merry as a half figure)

Challenge Quadrant location (Quadrant XII Star) @ 20 points each = 20 points

 

At this point, I am not sure if this will be my last submission for the Painting Challenge. I have another 60 zombies sitting on my desk, but I can't guarantee I will have them completed before the deadline. We will give it the 'old college try', as they say. This submission will put me over my target, so it's all bonus from here on. This was my first year of active participation in  the Painting Challenge, although last year I 'played along at home'. I have been impressed by both the level of skill demonstrated by the other participants, as well as the volume of output. Kudos to one and all.

Just in case this is my last submission, I want to thank all those who left encouraging comments on my posts - (in no particular order): MartinC, IainW, GregB, RayR, Codsticker, TashaH, DallasE, PeterD, TamsinP, Barks, SanderS, TeemuL, MikeP, StuartL, Curt, DaveV, PaulSS, DaveD, SimonG, Millsy, Nick, BruceR, PeterB, HerrRobert, KenR, DavidB, MikeW, MattW, KerryT, JezzT, AdamC, TobiasK, Bedford, Evan Hughes, and Anibal Invictis.


[As much as possible, I have tracked down the name people have been assigned on the participants list. Hopefully I haven't missed anybody.]

Cheers,

FrederickC.

A fine collection of LoTR goodies Frederick, the orb is pleased.  While the orcs are terrific (and skullacious) my favourites are the Eowyn/Merry combo, great work on these lovely sculpts.

You've had a terrific challenge Frederick, hope to see you again next year.    

29 comments:

  1. Great painting Frederick. I like the fact that the first 6 figures gave been sitting unloved in a box for a few years. If it wasnt for the Challenge they may have remained there a little whole longer. That's what excellent about the Challenge! Top work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray, for all your kind comments over the course of the Challenge. I agree with you on the Challenge being good at clearing out a lot of the 'Pending' projects, especially when trying to meet the special Quadrant themes.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work Frederick. I particularly like the mounted Eowyn/Merry model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt. When I saw the version that Barks did of that model, I just had to get one for myself.

      I also want to say thanks for all your positive comments on my earlier posts, and for letting me join the rather crowded field of participants this year.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing the map and meeting your points goal! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your creations! Your treatment of these Lord of the Rings figures is lovely. My favourite is Eowyn. She and her mount are beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natasha. I am glad you enjoyed my musings, as well as my painting. It has been a fun three months. If all works as planned, and I am back for next year's Challenge, I think Lord of the Rings will be my main focus, along with whatever special challenges are presented.

      Delete
  5. Very nice work, Frederick! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your positive comments on my posts over the course of the Challenge. They definitely helped keep me motivated.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on successfully navigating the Challenge Quadrant (and painting a sh*t ton of figures in the process)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg. The Zoom painting sessions you organized were definitely helpful in painting all those figures.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on completing your task and in some style with these fine Lotr figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your encouraging comments on my posts, Iain. Good luck on meeting your Challenge target. Cheers.

      Delete
  8. Well done on meeting your target. From a fellow first timer, good job sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter. I see from the points tally that you have done well in not only meeting your target, but exceeding it be a lot. Congrats. I challenge you to a higher target next year. ;^)

      Delete
  9. This is a fine end to your Challenge, if it will be the case. I really love the orcs and rangers, but the new Eowyn is just so wonderful and you have painted her so well. I have several Eowyns and Merrys, but I'm tempted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teemu, for all your comments on my posts. I was in the same situation you are in with 4 Eowyns and 3 Merrys already, but I couldn't resist.

      Good luck in achieving your Challenge target. Cheers.

      Delete
  10. Lovely work Frederick! I especially like Éowyn with Merry. Congrats on reaching your target sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Millsy. I appreciate all your positive comments on my posts over the course of the Challenge. Cheers.

      Delete
  11. Great entry Fredrick. I really like how you painted Eowyn's horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Codsticker. I appreciate all your positive comments on my submissions over the course of the Challenge. The painting posts will continue on the Fawcett Avenue Conscripts blog starting in April. Cheers.

      Delete
  12. A perfectly fitting crown on your Challenge work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sander. It has been a very productive Challenge for me, as well as being a lot of fun.

      Delete
  13. Hello Frederick:
    It's been a pleasure cheering you on in this year's Challenge and I look forward to seeing more of your work in future. I greatly enjoyed your LOTR submission. Lovely work, especially the horses!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike. I think LotR will be my main focus next year.
      Cheers.

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful final quadrant entry. Especially love Eowyn - great movement and the horse is fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it turned out to be the best horse I have ever painted.

      Delete
  15. Lovely stuff! Your orcs are great and so are the rangers, but your collection of Eowyns takes the prize. Your horse is gorgeous. I’m proud to have given you a nudge in your Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barks, for both the compliment and the nudge.

      Delete