Sunday 13 March 2022

From TamsinP: Papuan Native Porters (10 points)

The Adventures of Oscar: Time Traveler, Slayer of Squirrels and Very, Very Good Boy

Chapter 11

In which our hero begins to really, really, really hate the jungle...


Oh, no! No, no, no! The jungle? Again? I really don't like this place. Still, maybe I'll find another jungle squirrel to slay...


Nope, none this way...


Still none...


Whassat? I think I hear people. Better slink a bit, just in case it's more of those horrible Japanese men that keep chasing me...


Not nasty Japanese people! Hello, hello, hello!


"Food!"

Food? Did they say food?  These are really nice people! Hang on...why is that one pulling out a knife? And gesturing me over? Something's not right here...


Ohmydog! They mean that *I'm* food! Yoiks! Better scarper!



Cripes! That was a close call! I really, really, really, really hate this place! Still, I think I've got clear of them now. Better press a button on Tamsin's device...let's see. Maybe I'll have better luck in that future city? 

*press 4*


Silliness over (for this post)!


Papuan Native Porters

Just a small entry for this post.





Yes, just two Papuan native porters. The figures are 28mm from Eureka Miniatures.

Both the Australians and the Japanese made extensive use of Papuan natives as labour to transport supplies. The Japanese treated them abominably. The Australians just treated them badly, although the officers of ANGAU (Australian New Guinea Administrative Unit) who were mostly planters, miners and engineers who had lived on the island before the war did their best to prevent abuses. Although officially "indentured labour", they were effectively slaves while "indentured" and risked being shot if they attempted to run away.


For Scoring

2 x 28mm foot @ 5 = 10 points

Total = 10 points

_______________________________________

Great looking porters, Tamsin. 

Though I love Oscar dearly, he is a rather beefy boy, and I can see how some may thing he'd be good eating.  I'm glad he's whisked himself away to someplace 'safer', or at least someplace where he's not considered the entree. 

- Curt


I suspect that when we finally catch up with him, next Sunday, that he might be somewhat less beefy. After all he's only had some rotting jungle vegetation and a bowl of bully beef stew to eat - the poor lad must be positively starving! - Tamsin

15 comments:

  1. Thank goodness Oscar got out of there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! It's no wonder he hates the jungle, what with Japanese chasing him off and now Papuans wanting to eat him! :)

      Delete
  2. That was a narrow though interesting escape. The porters are very nice, I think you captured the skin tone very well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice porters, very well realised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking characters. Love the basing too: simple yet very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's just mixed dried herbs glued down and then "fixed" with a mix of brown paint and dilute PVA. :)

      Delete
  5. That crate contains some time machine parts.m I'm sure of that. Nice duo, Tamsin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not! There should only be three of them in existence! ;)

      Cheers! :)

      Delete
  6. Great painting on the figures ...

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work once more Tamsin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on jungle logistics!

    ReplyDelete