Saturday 10 December 2022

Challenge 13 Intro from Kerry T (Valleyboy)

 Morning, afternoon & evening all

This will be my second challenge, I must say taking part in my first challenge last year was I think the highlight of my wargaming year and I am so pleased to be a participant again this year.

I'm a proud Welshman (currently the butt of many rugby jokes) who moved to NZ in 1999, transporting what was probably then close to 7,000 15 mm Napoleonics I think at the same time. It goes without saying that 15mm Napoleonics are my first love and the collection has grown since then. There was a time when I would hide them all away as I was reticent to share with friends the secret of my nerdy hobby. I've come a long way in recent years though and am more open with friends an colleagues and am surprised how well my hobby habit has been received.

Last week we hosted the work Christmas party at our house. No hiding this time though, the games room was open to all and one of the spot prizes was given to  the staff member who closest in guessing  the number of figures on the table! 



In reality there is no doubt I'm a painter as opposed to wargamer, historian or collector. Thankfully I'm generally quite productive as I probably only watch about 3 hrs of TV per week spending my evenings  painting whilst listening to wargames podcasts in the evening after work

I'm a lucky man and now as I approach retirement have the luxury of a wargames room with a purpose built table. Most of my gaming these days is solo and though in the past 2 years I have taken an interest in skirmish games I am a BIG GAME enthusiast at heart and love nothing more than leaving a game up and playing it out over weeks. Some of this can be seen on my blog https://valleyboyinnz.wordpress.com/


I've been fortunate in the past to take part in several big games and was one of the original participants at Ayton (frequently written about by Henry Hyde) many years ago. I've been fortunate to take part in large multiplayer refights of Waterloo, Borodino & Leipzig organised here in NZ by fellow gamers - details on the blog.

The forces of Silverfernia capture some much needed supplies at Ayton in 2011


Borodino 2020, my Polish are in the foreground

At the moment I'm trying to finish off some AB French Cuirassiers in 15mm and having moved now mainly to painting 28mm figures forgot what a challenge it was but I think I might try and get some Young Guard painted up once the challenge gets going.

I have a short attention span when it comes to painting and like to flit from one period to another to keep myself productive. This coupled with my "oh look shiny"affliction means that I have a wide collection of unpainted figures. In fact somebody once described my hobby as being "all over the place", which I took as a compliment rather than the criticism intended!

Last year my entries were themed around P for project but this year I'm going to let myself loose with no boundaries and rummage around in the cupboard below.

I'm still waiting on some shield transfers to arrive and will still need to prep some Perry Miniatures coming for Christmas and some Oathmark Orcs. Thankfully I think I am well enough stocked in tufts and bases

My painting focus has always been on painting large numbers of figures I suppose and my subject matter in the coming challenge will likely involve  Napoleonics and Samurai in 15mm, while in 28 I hope to churn out some Dwarves, Orcs, Normans, Saxons, ECW and VBCW and maybe even some terrain. My main aim and hope I suppose is to try and make a big dent in my slow burn Italian wars project by finishing some Italians, Swiss, a few Landsknecht, Gendarmes, stradiots and finally Spanish. Hence my suggestion of a "My codpiece is bigger than yours" challenge. I also hope to drop a few Squirrel bombs again this year

The painting desk and reference library!

So I've myself a decent challenge  and in order to do this will need to find ways of overcoming my work commitments, ignore the rapidly growing grass and other needs in the garden and try and stay off the golf course 

Even on the golf course there'll be a reminder that I really should be painting!

Thank you all for your encouragement last year, it was such a positive influence, I cannot emphasise its effect enough. I'm looking forward to enjoying your company again for the next few months and being enthused by what you will showcase again. Best wishes


26 comments:

  1. It's good to see you return for your second outing, Kerry - I'm glad we didn't put you off last year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No quite the opposite and your efforts were prominent in that

      Delete
  2. What a great and welcoming post Kerry! You have a wonderful hobby setup and I like that you hade a portion of your collection out for your work Christmas party (so, how many figures were on the table?). Looking forward to seeing what comes off your painting desk this Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful set up, and a great hobby space for gaming as well! Something that I am trying to sort out myself so, like you, I can have larger games and just leave it out to play as/when time allows!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr Lee -what you tell your better half is that its just another bedroom if you take the wargmes stuff out

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, a lot of thought went into it, I'm to old to be lugging heavy trestle tables around and its important to have drawers here you can hide the clutter

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful table and set up. Welcome back

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s epic .. have a great challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, I'm seriously impressed by what I see you produce and do

      Delete
  7. A great hobby room, a fantastic table, enough stock and a well-supplied painting station: what's not to love? Great to see you back Kerry, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the only problem is that its summer here and the Vallejo gets lumpy!

      Delete
  8. That table left me in awe! And what a terrific hobby space you have. Incidentally @curt Campbell, the more I see these posts and the photos, the more I wonder why Vallejo is not a Challenge sponsor!!! We all together have a major fortune invested in that company ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers - are you like me and have multiple spare bottles of your most used colours?

      Delete
  9. Excellent post and games area. Good luck in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce all the best to you too, all this waiting around has me thinking should I get more bases/ flags etc!

      Delete
  10. Did any of your co-workers get the answer correct? More importantly, did you manage to get any of them interested in a game?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funnily enough Stuart the best guess was about 700 too high and the next 1000 too low - a husband and wife. I'm sure that they have enough of me at work an would not be enthused by spending more time in my company - the acid test will be this weekend when a few golf mates are coming around and don't know about my dirty secret!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great Hobby room, a brilliant table and perfect painting area!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheers, its just an extra bedroom really but kitted out to suit as the kids are grown up

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome stuff Kerry, great looking space and table. All the best on the challenge.

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back Kerry! 7000 15s shipped halfway around the world, impressive!

    ReplyDelete