Saturday 10 December 2022

From KyleC: Hobby Area and some projects

So another year passes and we all meet up here once again.. And like all the regulars I am always in excitement of this time to get some serious hobby time in. Or at least that is the plan.. which has not gone down well over the past few years. Between moving, illness, and work.. things like life keep getting in the way. 

Though this year I do hope it is much different as I have begun to do much more painting in prep for the event, and also aligning my space to flow better for it. 

Behold.. my claustrophobic sized office space that encompasses everything one needs for a work/hobby division. 

Hobby zone and work space combo
No space left unused!

In the past I did have space upstairs that was more dedicated for painting and hobby. However I seemed to rarely use it as work made it nearly impossible to get away from the computer. And with the inclusion of my partners family from Ukraine now residing with us, I spent a bit of this year redesigning my office to hold more items than it probably should be. But it has seen an increase of painting as I tend to not leave the office now, and can paint in-between calls or before/after work without feeling guilty that I am not available for work. 

With my main work computer set up in front of me, and drawers filled with paints, materials, and models.. I have everything within arms reach ( including a drink fridge, and Mince Pies ) to keep me going. 

War of the Roses models. Some finished, many not.
Let's change that!

Plan this year is to get through a few of my armies that I have built over the past years and not got around to painting. More just moving from box or display case as we update or move house. 

Some of the bigger ones would be my War of the Roses army, Roman forces, and Dacians. Those being some of the more pressing ones I wouldn't mind getting completed this year. 

Historical armies. Romans and Dacians.

Couple other ongoing projects would be my Deathguard Horus Heresy forces. Although much is done with it over the summer, I have a lot of support vehicles and units to finish off with it. Including a few more units that are being finished up with printing that should prove to be quite a bit of fun. Quick shot to show where I got up to in August before working on a few other projects. 

Deathguard Horus Heresy Army

Also have the Cursed City boxset to finish that I will be following Marco's youtube tutorials for to get them done quickly ( airbrush and oils to be used heavily there ). The skeles got finishes, as did the heroes, but the rest of the mobs still need doing. So I do look forward to getting them done, and then more games being had with them all on the table. 

Skeletons for Cursed City

Some Orks need doing for a mate of mine that I have set aside for this as they are a bit easier and a good palette cleanser. 

I expect also a lot of random pieces at times. Star War Legions. Adeptus Titanicus. Age of Sigmar. Blood Bowl. Weird War 2 models. And likely whatever gets through the printer or makes me go Ooo that looks interesting. 

One of the biggest things for 2023 for me though is to get in more gaming. I have not had much time with it over the past years due to work and such, but looking to rectify that more this year. So a wide range of models, and armies will help me be ready for whatever game type one might want to play, and have it done in a bit of style. 

Looking through all the other setups, and hobby plans, this years is looking to be a right blast overall. Should be fun, and looking forward to it! 

25 comments:

  1. Best of luck Kyle, I'm looking forward to the WOTR and Dacians in particular

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Am hoping to get the WOTR forces done first as I wouldnt mind giving it a go at some point in 2023 ( just picked up the Nevermind the billhooks deluxe rules for them ). Let's see!

      Delete
  2. Lots of fun there Kyle, and I see we share many projects fro HH to BB to WotR. Looking forward to seeing your entries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for that Paul. Got some lovely bits for my HH forces, and there is a chance for a mini tournament among mates for BB in the new year. So something to paint towards!

      Delete
  3. Good luck, Kyle! Lots of interesting projects in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to home you back, hope the in laws are ok

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, and they are getting there. Both found work so far, and the kids are in the local schools doing well. Just taking it bit by bit these days.

      Delete
  5. Terrific to have you with us again, Kyle! Looking forward to seeing progress in ALL these projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be interesting to see how much I get through for sure. Though I may require a bit of a push come mid-jan to keep me going ;)

      Delete
  6. What a great setup you have Kyle. Mince pies to hand? Man after my own heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far too many of them consumed so far and its barely Christmas! Dunno how I will survive in january when they disappear once more though!

      Delete
  7. A fine hobby space and some great plans, Kyle! I'll be looking forward to your historicals, especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Most of the historicals have sat there for quite a while so it will be nice to see them get finished, and maybe have a gave or two with them all!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful space. Have a great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wlecome back. Your hobby space looks terrific. Hope you can progress with your many projects. See you in a few days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Its not perfect, but its doable and workable for me at the moment. Let's see how it all goes for this season of painting!

      Delete
  10. Nice looking Deathguard.
    Your display cases should be much more colourful by the end of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have to see about the display cases, as atm its more for my WIP projects, with all my painted forces going to the garage. Which I have been slowly, and still, working on converting for a proper gaming cave! Photos of it in a future post for sure!

      Delete
  11. I shall look forward to your WotR figures Kyle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great space Kyle, looking the display case approach to what you have awaiting paint! All the best in the challenge

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete