Thursday 22 December 2022

From AlanD: Festive Root Vegetables for Turnip28 (35 Points)

 I don't feel good about any of this.


I've been amused and bemused this year by the weird little niche in our Zeitgeist that is Turnip28. If you aren't familiar with this nonsense, it's a setting, and game, designed by the British artist Max Fitzgerald about a post-apocalyptic Napoleonic/Medieval world where root vegetables are essentially taking over. More succinctly, as Max Fitzgerald has explained, 'it's about turnips'. Such is the insidious creep of The Root that even Curt has come under its influence.



Paul O'G has spent much of the last 6 months wearing me down by sending me daily turnip photos. I've actually been incredibly focused in my hobby time this year, painting a 28mm Soviet force for Battle Group to match the Romanians I worked on in AHPC XII. But finally, I have succumbed. The charm of this nonsense is the opportunity to kitbash ludicrous figures from the sorts of bits we all have lying around, mashing together anything so long as the technology doesn't extend much further than 1805. Some of the great figures Paul has come up with actually make me laugh out loud. I've had a lot of fun so far making some figures of my own, while listening to suitably thematic music, with songs like 'Swede Child of Mine', '24 Hour Parsnip People' and 'Counting the Beet'.


One of the factions in Turnip28 rejoices in the name 'The Lopers of Maudlin Marsh', who are able to field a unit of Lopers - permanently drunk stilt walkers who stagger about the battlefield. That's what I've modelled here, using bit of Victrix Highlanders, Perry WotR, GW Sylvaneth, Warlord ECW, some 3D printed bits, tufts, Sculpey, a metal barrel, bottles that were once Soviet Molotov cocktails, some Frostgrave bits, copper wire, Greenstuff and bamboo skewers. Oh, and a shield from Fireforge. It amuses me that men on stilts would be heavily armoured from the waist up, but wear kilts, and that most of them wear helmets that prevent them from seeing what's below them.


Anyway, enough of this madness. If we count the little swampling parsnip musician that I made from Sculpey, I think these guys should get me on the board in AHPC XIII, and in the Turnip Side Duel, with 35 points. 

I'll finish with a photo of the current state of my worktable. Shameful, I know!


I wish you all a very happy festive season, and a wonderful painting challenge.


_______________________________

Oooh, these are simply fabulous, Alan. I looove the Turnip28 setting, and these models of yours fit the mood perfectly. I love the Loper faction (cult?), but have been too shy (ie lazy) to make up figures for it. But now there they are, and I now need some! I love the wonderful effects you've achieved by your kitbashing, especially the bottles and various accoutrements. I also appreciate your thematic root vegetable backdrop - genius.

I'm going to give a couple of points each for all the mad modifications. Wonderful work, Alan, and welcome back to the Challenge!

- Curt


26 comments:

  1. Utterly bonkers stuff, Alan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work mate - they came out awesomely! And congrats on posting the first Turnip of this Challenge!

    All that said, my IO campaign has now expired. Turnip28 is so mainstream now that I'm going elsewhere in search of more perverse madness...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, just kidding,. PS Love the thematic backgrounds in your pics :-)

      Delete
  3. Well done! You have added more inspiring Turnip28 troops in the war to beet down my faltering resistance against rooting for this new madness.
    Pastinaca Iter Ad Victoriam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautifully painted. We have a pretty weird hobby but this is a barking mad flight of fancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I like these. Very funky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must confess I’m not much taken in with the concept, but I absolutely love your creativity and your painting. Your vegetables certain shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I started enjoying it once I gave myself permission to be creative and just whack stuff together. Such a change from my usual button counting.

      Delete
    2. Isnt it just! I actually think thats the whole point.

      Delete
  7. Turnip 28. The things I learn in the challenge. With all the hype it will be difficult to not enter the realm. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look great and are well done. What worries me is that I recognize some bits so I'm not going to look for too long in case its catching and will make me want to paint "weird shit" myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be not ye afraid. Walk towards the turnip shaped light....

      Delete
  9. Those are both absurd and beautiful lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great painting Alan, not my cuppa, but whatever floats your boat! Nit keen on turnips, gimme swede any day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The more I see of this Turnip28 models, the more interested I am in it. Looks absolutely fascinating on all the conversion work people are doing on it here! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The amount of bitz put into this faction is so wonderfully crazy and in the T28 spirit. Great unit and I hope you get to play a few games - they can be hilarious - especially with the carnivorous terrain. Turnip 28 - you can't beet it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are splendid, Alan! I was uncertain on the turnip range and rage, but as they seem to be xtras from the movie Labrynth, I have to admit I am intrigued! This lot is very nice!

    ReplyDelete