Thursday 22 December 2022

From ByronM: Horus Heresy Iron Warriors in 15mm - Sci-Fi (50 points)

Day 2 of the event and my second post.  I started these guys yesterday but had to finish the basing and clear coat off this morning before work.  Not that there is a lot to finish on them (let alone do at all) since they are pretty basic paint jobs.

A group of us in Winnipeg are doing Horus Heresy in 15mm, you will likely see Scott C and Steve A post some this Challenge, and a lot of armies were already selected and I have a TON of stuff to paint already this year.  I still wanted to get involved and play a few games though, so I started looking at what armies were out there and came across the Iron Warriors.  

 
Their paint scheme is silver, with black guns and black and yellow hazard stripes or chevrons on their shoulders and vehicles.  Sign me up!!!  I primed these silver after finding army painter silver primer, and then brush primed the bases black.  Once the challenge started all I had to do was paint the guns, shoulderpads, add some bronze accents and wash them with Agrax Earthshade (I put that sh*t on everything!), and they were done!  I should be able to get a whole army done in no time with these!

The Rhino was a little more problematic due to the yellow being hard to get coverage in a large area smoothly and evenly.  Trust me I tried, 4 or 5 times!!  In the end I said screw it, sanded it off, broke out the tape and masked around the areas I wanted yellow.  I then re-primed those areas white, then airbrushed yellow.  Perfect and simple, and nice and clean.

 
I then proceeded to ruin it with my unsteady hands trying to paint straight lines for the hazard lines.  Oh well its good enough!

For anyone interested these are the 6mm epic STL files from thingiverse and Cults3d and then scaled up about 260% to look correct against other 15mm figures.  While a little chunky looking, I think they look pretty good for Iron Warriors who are supposed to be staunch siege fighters.  

More on this project to come over the course of the challenge, as well as the rest of my 15mm Eldar from last year that got shelved over the summer.

Points:

11x Infantry @ 2 points = 22 points

1x Vehicle @ 8 points

Sci-Fi map space @ 20 points

Total of 50 points

______________________________

Two days in with an entry for each. One more and you'll have a hat-trick, Byron!

You had talked about you doing Iron Warriors for this project, knowing full well that you could knock them out in no time, and you were right - and they look absolutely terrific. Now that I see them in all their 15mm glory, I think I need to do a squad or two of Loyalists. You know, for balance and future visits... :)

- Curt



17 comments:

  1. Really nice stuff Byron. Yellow can be a b*tch but yours looks great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Byron! They're no emperors children, but they'll do the job. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Love the classic Rhino!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you’re on a roll! I love these, they came out well. Ah, the joy Agrax Earthshade brings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yeah it's really like Franks Red Hot Sauce in that way :-)

      Delete
  5. Great work and speed is the key. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool to see these models, and more so at this scale! Looking forward to seeing much more of it now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prolific and peerless - it's amazing to see so many 3D entries already this Challenge - it's so quickly become a major part of the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are pretty Iron warriors, Byron! I like the industrial florist with the grimy metal. They turned out very well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, definitely got my attention with these! Iron without!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A chance to a setting I love in another scale? HOW DO I GET SOME OF THIS?

    ReplyDelete