Thursday 22 December 2022

From BruceR: 28mm Foundry Pirates from the - World Cinema (45 pts)

I didn't have to be at work until lunch so a little coffee and to the paint bench.  

I have a few pirates (17) for a project and decided to paint just 5 instead of my usual 8-10.  I was able to finish them in just over 2 hours.  So perfect, and off to work.  A friend was trying contrasts and I followed along with some samples.  I'm in the camp of another tool in the drawer.  For putting out miniatures quickly and for the table not the cabinet, contrast has its place.  With the "slappy/chappy"??? method (white dry brush to old timers like me) they can be a bit grainy yet turn out okay in my book.  I do highlight flesh and white. 

The miniatures are Wargames Foundry, which I think are brilliant.  So much that I finished 14 prior to the Challenge as I could not hold back.  The first were more characterful and the remainder I have left are more crew like.  All are great.  The mission is to put on a Sharp Practice 2 game at Adepticon in March.  

So, here is my first submission in the Challenge Studios XIII - World Cinema.  As my pirates hale from the Carribean they are a direct contrast to my current subzero location of upper USA.  As I type it is m-m-m-minus 20 degrees (without wind chill), I'm sure much warmer in the islands, mon!

Enjoy the journey...............






Arrr the points:

5 28mm @ 5pts =   25

World Cinema =     20

Total                =      45


____________________________________

Yep, I hear you. It's a bit brisk up here too. A good night for some 'augmented' eggnog and a warm dog at your feet.

Lovely brushwork Bruce! I love these Foundry sculpts as well - super characterful, and you've done them proud. I really like the punchy colours with the blocked-in style, and your basework is really on-point as well.  As you say, Contrast Paints, and their ilk, can be terrific for banging out rank and file models, but they can also create awesome effects with glazes, blending and judicious highlighting. Another great tool for the painter's toolbox. Well done!

- Curt

13 comments:

  1. Nice pirates Bruce, I agree that contrast paint has it's uses and for these it can be perfect!

    Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Bruce! I like the punchy colors, they look fabulously characterful as a pirate should. Contast/ speed paint are a nice tool. I will look for you at Adepticon too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, I have ridiculous number of pirates, more than 100 and I've sold and given away loads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pirates with lots of character

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some rather piraty pirates, they look very good! I love the Contrast paints too, very useful and a fine effect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice bunch of pirates, Bruce Arrrrrr! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid looking speedy pirates, excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive result for 2 hours work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaargh - nicely done. This feels like an excuse for painting/pirate joke: Q: What happened when Bluebeard fell overboard in the Red Sea?
    A: He got marooned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fine looking pirates and bashed up out very quickly indeed. Enjoy your balmy weather we’ve been under -40!

    ReplyDelete