Thursday 22 December 2022

From DavidB: Ray's Favourite Thing - Christmas Nutcracker (25 Points)


Behold the chaotic wonder of the man-cave....er boy-cave!


As you may notice, I was successful in cleaning it before the challenge ball dropped. Obviously!


I almost finished the white scar marines left over from last year, but they got swarmed by choice bits from the mountain of neglect.


I did get a lot of stuff primed, but distractions of forgotten shiny bits left little rhyme and reason to the batches prepped.


I will attempt to get this sorted and stowed before Christmas, as I really need to clear counters, tables and shelves to contain anything I get completed...and I will need space for photography.


I can also use some room to walk too!


I have just today finished my work week till Sunday. I work 12 hour shifts and was planning to dive into a squad of sci-fi infantry. My wife surprised me with a DIY nutcracker and a challenge of her own.


I have a sizable contingent of nutcrackers of many sizes, colors, styles, and even providence. This is my first one I had to paint myself. 


After five hours of brushwork, this is the result. The style of his uniform is in the colors of General "mad" Anthony Wayne's American Legion. We visited the battlefield of Fallen Timbers in Toledo, Ohio this past Fall. My wife was almost as disappointed as I that there were no soldiers or kits in Toledo that could serve as a souvenir of the trip.


The hat is wrong of course as the had campaign hats with black plumes. The Legion did not have the epaulettes either. Dark blue coats with red cuffs, turn-backs, and collars. The legion also had dark blue trousers and black boots with dark gray gaiters.


I added some painter flair to spruce him up and did a lot of wet on wet blending. 




My wife added a further challenge of limiting my choices. I was given one simple dollar brush and her collection of craft paints. The nutcracker is a soft wood and it really drank up the cheaper pigment paint...kinda glad I wasn't allowed to use my more expensive paints!


I wasn't too certain on my success of her challenge until I got to place him by his fellows. He does fit in well with this small group. Since I couldn't use detail brushes and the craft paint is chalky, I went impressionist painter with him and used purple to shade his blues and oranges and yellows to tint the reds. The red paint was really more pink than red, so it really needed the help to get there.
I rather like the effect although I was unsure how it was going to turn out till the end.

On my neglected blog-spot I shared a post on my nutcracker collection... RayR finds them creepy so be sure to direct him to this post! ;)

________________________________________

Haha! I love the chaos that is your man-cave, David! I also quite enjoy that your anticipated opening gambit were sidelined with a home-assigned challenge. Bravo! You took it up with aplomb! I must say, your General Wayne looks quite spiffing, and your artistic flourishes with his uniform have been tastefully executed. I know he will take a place of honour amongst your family's collection. It is obvious that in the Bromley household no nut shall go uncracked! :)

Let's score him as two 54mm foot figures with a few bonus points for the holiday season.

Well done David! Now, let's crack-on, eh? 

*ahem*

- Curt

25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, he did turn out well after a rough start!

      Delete
  2. Somehow the word nut occurring quite a bit in this entry seems strangely appropriate… What a fabulous opening entry Dave, well done indeed! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is true that chaos and pandemonium reign within my home...makes up for the rigorous structure and duty outside the walls. ;)

      Delete
  3. Sacré Bleu! What a mess of hobby room, my wife would have divorce from me XD On the other hand one of the most original entries to the Challenge ever. Looks great indded

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I usually have clean floors and organized counters and shelves, but holiday tasks interfered with sorting the painting queue. Since I leave my muddy boots in the garage and clean the rest of the house, my wife gives me a pass for my hobby space! 🙃

      Delete
  4. Super fun entry. Well done cracking nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great entry Dave, and he does indeed look creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ray! I've really got to send you one so you have something to talk to the psychiatrist about! ;)

      Delete
  6. Pure brilliance! I don't believe we have ever seen one of those as a Challenge entry before now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tamsin! I didn't even know diy nutcrackers existed till my wife found this one. ;)

      Delete
  7. Excellent work! I did a load of nutcracker decorations last year, good fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. It's not Christmas till I infiltrate my company of Nutcrackers in the living room! I have seen some Christmas army minis that feature snowmen, toys oldies and nutcrackers. I have thought about getting a few packs...;)

      Delete
  8. I love the idea of painting your own nutcracker and including uniform details. Excellent entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Pete. It took a few moments to figure out what uniform to do. More fun than painting random colors....also a great excuse to pour through uniform books!

      Delete
  9. Excellent nutcracker David, love him. Love that your wife challenged you to finish him too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! She doesn't make many requests, so I do deliver everyone she makes. ;)

      Delete
  10. A unique entry! I like the collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barks! At 2-4 a year for the past 30 years, the company is becoming a battalion! ;)

      Delete
  11. Great entry, though how you get so much done with all the choices at your fingertips is beyond me! Squirrels delight there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! Haha! I indulge my inner squirrel and often have the hardest time focusing on just one. I usually have three or more projects going in tandem. The benefits are I am never tired of painting. The con is space is getting tight! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the points,Curt! It was a shock having my OP upended by Household 6's FRAGO. Still the enemy was met and no surface was left unblemished by precision pigments! ;)

    ReplyDelete