Sunday 25 December 2022

From BenitoV: Under Construction - The Moor Warband Completed (55 points)

My initial post was a group of 5 moor archers and today I finish this levy unit with additional 7 models, to complete the 12 required to score 1 point in a Saga warband. 


But more important, I just realized that after painting the unit I'm also completing a Moor Warband which started ... more than a decade ago (!) when I was immersed in playing El Cid supplement of the Warhammer Ancient Battles system.  

 

For different reasons, I abandoned both WAB and this army project, turning my attention chiefly into the WW1 and WW2 periods, hand in hand with some Too Fat Lardies sets discovered in those years.


The project has resurfaced with Saga. I clean the dust from my Gripping Beast moor models (all metal) from the late 80s, and have also recovered from the unpainted pile of lead, close to 100 Christian/Norman models that I bought to build an El Cid army. Not sure if I'll be able to paint some for the Challenge but I'll try.


In any case, I think this last archer contingent can score for the "Under Construction" set in the Challenge studios (... unless the Snow Lord objects, of course).


Going back to the models, as in the previous post these are a mix of two Gripping Beast plastic boxes Dark Age Archers and Arab Spearmen and Archers to get more variety of models and poses. 

Scoring:

  • 7 x 28mm models @5 points each = 35 points
  • Bonus "Under Construction" stucio = 20 points
  • Total = 55 points

As today is Decemeber 25th, I wish all Challengers a very festive day in the company of your beloved ones. And if you live in North America, I saw in the news there's a very nasty snowstorm sweeping Canada and the US, stay safe!

______________________________________

More lovely Moorish archers, Benito!

I have fond memories of all of those Warhammer Historical expansion books, even though I never played the game - they were such quality products. I really like that you're resurrecting your El Cid army project for a run during the Challenge. I very much look forward to seeing more units come out from under your talented brush.

- Curt


19 comments:

  1. Good looking archers! I have bought all the WAB books from clearance sale years ago, but never read them. I have heard they are one of the best rulesets available - well, they are not available anymore, but you get the point. WSS regularly mentions them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played WAB many years but was disappointed when the 2nd edition was launched. Shifted my interests to other periods and with Saga and Infamy! and slowly returning again to Ancients. I have Hail Caesar in my sight for 2023 as well as some boardgames of the GMT's Great Battles of History series (SPQR, Caesar, etc)

      Delete
  2. Great complement to your earlier bunch Benito, these look just as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Surprisingly homogeneous despite the difference in years of painting

      Delete
  3. Loving this project Benito. That WAB book is a great resource. Have you read “The Quest for El Cid”, I think by Fletcher? Pound for pound it’s one of the best history books around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember discovering that book browsing in a London bookshop in the mid 90s (99% sure it was Foyles) when I worked in The City. It was a great work; recently we have some Spanish scholars publishing very interesting new research on El Cid, I hope they could be translated into English soon

      Delete
  4. Excellent work and a wonderful resurrection of an old project. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to see more Moors for your SAGA warband - would love to play with you someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really good figures, I love the Gripping Beast Arab plastics and have used these for the basis of a number of projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent range and, as I said, unbeatable value for money

      Delete
  7. Brilliant, Benito! I quite like them and they blend well with the El Cid Moors. Now I have an urge to watch El Cid again!

    ReplyDelete