Sunday 25 December 2022

From JonathanO: Back & White - Weeping Angels (40 points)

Blink!  





Actually, don't blink! 




These are no Christmas Angels.

Followers of Doctor Who will know that they are Weeping Angels. These appeared in the TV episode named "Blink",  as well as some later episodes.

They look like stone statues, but move rapidly when not being watched.  One touch from a Weeping Angel and you will be transported back in time to live out your life from then on. So don't blink! 

I suppose if you were only transported back a few years you may still be able to participate in the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge, but more likely you would find yourself in a dark time before the Snow Lord created the Challenge.

The figures are from packs that were originally given away with the Doctor Who Adventures magazines.  I managed to buy some on eBay a few years ago.

These models are made of soft plastic so do not take paint very well. After a good wash with dish soap and water, they were given a couple of brushed-on coats of matt white paint.

I used two applications of Citadel contrast paint Apothecary White (actually grey) to get the effect I wanted - Grey, but with quite a lot of white showing.  I think they will be fine to add to my collection of Doctor Who figures.

At least these four figures and the Black and White location bonus get me some easy early points.

Points estimate:

4 x 28mm figures @ 5 points each  = 20

Black & White studio location bonus = 20

Total = 40 points


I am not sure which studio location to visit next, maybe a ride in Lady Sarah's Limousine will give me time to decide.

This is my 8th time in the Analogue Painting Challenge.  Maybe I will hit my more modest target of 400 points this time!  

I enjoyed seeing the posts of the painting tables / hobby spaces that several challengers shared.  Here is my table after it was tidied up, ready to start this year's challenge. It is in my hobby / store room in the basement.  I have a daylight lamp that works well, as well as a magnifier lamp for occasional use.


How long will it stay this tidy?


Season's Greetings to all my fellow challengers, Thanks to Curt, Sarah and all the Minions for running this great annual painting marathon as well to Sidney for the work on the AHPCXIII Studio theme/map.

Here is my wife's gingerbread creation for this year - a Victorian House.  Perhaps I could use it later as game scenery for a Doctor Who scenario based on the old house in the "Blink" TV episode!  




________________________________


Wow, great looking gingerbread house (acreage?). It looks both cozy and architecturally delicious.

Good one with using the 'Weeping Angels' for the Black & White theme. They look very creepy and their 'superpower' is more than a bit unsettling. I love that you got them from one of those magazines promoting Dr. Who. (I have a bunch of LotR figures from those Eaglemoss magazines and they're actually quite characterful and well done.) I'm looking forward to your figure for Lady Sarah's Limousine

Merry Christmas, Jonathan!

- Curt


11 comments:

  1. Looks good Jonathon! If you keep this pace, you will reach your target in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great entry and wonderful gingr house, your wifee is an artist! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on these Weeping Angels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on the angels, and amazing work by your partner on the house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, weeping angels, the little sneakers! Cleverly done, Jonathan, the gingerbread house is fabulous and your hobby spot looks set to produce more fine entries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creepy angles and a great gingerbread house

    ReplyDelete
  7. New Who has come up with some iconic baddies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea and nice work on the angels

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creepy angels and cheery gingerbread house. Two ends of the spectrum. Great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very, er, Festive? Angels. Nice black and white painting. You should get some points towards your target by proxy for the gingerbread house.

    ReplyDelete