Monday 23 January 2023

[Darrell H]More Sub Roman, British and Welsh Kingdom's Skirmishers (30 points?)

Between my main project, the Thematic Byzantines and finding myself having to wait for some Gloss varnish to go off (the requisite week before matting down) I managed to sneak in six British and Welsh Kingdom's Skirmishers for my Arthurian project.

Although a unit of slingers I checked in some javelin and bow types in the unit- we are talking Sub Roman era here and I have serious doubts as to the validity of the village hoi polloi being overly very organised in the production of homologous military units. Anyway, it helps break up the homogeneity of the unit which was my primary concern.




A few close ups:







For my next post I will be hoping back to the Thematic Byzantines.

So, 6 28mm miniatures at 5pts each = 30 points

Lovely work on these Welsh skirmishers.  I agree that the mix of weaponry seems right for the era.  Iwas going to ask make on the figures but I see from the label that they’re Gripping Beast.

Some great details on faces, cloaks and plaids and basing is wonderful.  It’s nice to see you invest the time into the riff raffle as well as the elite Byzantine cavalry.

31 comments:

  1. Awesome looking skirmishers, they look great and the painting is as always superb!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great painting and the cloak and tunic "checks" look brilliant!
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valleyboys are always good looking Darrell and these are no exception - I can see that you must have used a younger me as a model for right hand figure picture 7!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll need photographic evidence to substantiate that claim!

      Delete
    2. LOL.... I'd best leave it at that! LOL

      Delete
  4. Love those capes and the lived in faces. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab painting as always, Darrell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff, Darrell! The brilliant painting almost shadows the greatbasejob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu. I was looking for that overgrown, falling apart Sub Roman Britain vibe.

      Delete
  7. Great paint and lovely bases there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Up to your usual cracking standard mate 👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent painting and the cloaks are absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous Darrell, they look really great, loving the tartan. Agree on your assessment we really need to think about it more regarding strict units of slingers, javelins etc

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. Yeah, there's just no way I can see 6th CE soldiers in what was Britain being organised very efficiently at all.

      Delete