Monday 23 January 2023

KenR : 10mm Malburian Savoy Infantry (40 pts)


Something a bit different for me today. I don't do much smaller scale stuff so you might be a bit surprised to see these. For those who don't know this is my one failed Project, I bought 1,000s of these about 20 years ago and never did anything with them. About a year ago I started tinkering with them and have been using them as a break in between other stuff and its slowly building into a Project.


For me where small scales come into their own is when you have big units so when I started putting these together I played around with the layout and number of figures (with my usual complete disregard for rules) until I came up with this 40 figs on 4, 40 x 30 bases. This is my 9th unit.


This unit are 10mm Pendraken figures and are the first "new figures" I have done for this project, the firing and high porte poses were not available when I bought my original figures, so of course I had to buy some more. I had to look up the scoring for these and they are a point a piece for a total of 40 for the unit. The flags are from Maverick Models who do a great range in all scales for this period (and many others).


I'm using the order of Battle for the Battle of Chiari 1701 as a list for the units I'm building and these represent the Monferrato Battalion from the Army of Savoy Piedmont which at that time was an independent state and an army I've been interested in since an article on them in an early edition of Wargames Illustrated. The detail on the figures is superb and handle close up photos quite well, even if it shows up the bits where I've spread the basing over the figures !


So that's the first post today, you'll see a few more of these during the Challenge as I use them as a palette cleanser in between "proper" units, next up is another boat 🚢 

These Savoyards came out very nicely Ken.  The Pendraken 10mm WSS and NYW ranges are very well done and you've done them justice.  Love the big Yorkshire scale units and basing.  And of course the flags just make the units.

32 comments:

  1. Nice work Ken, how do you find painting smaller figs after 28s? It seems quicker at least I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, its a nice break to be honest, it also keeps my fine detail skills going. I end up doing more figures which cover about the same amount of space as the 28s I'd paint in the same time would take 👍

      Delete
  2. That's a great looking unit, Ken. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work on the wee chaps, Ken! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank heaven for cheap Supermarket reading glasses !

      Delete
  4. They do look good, Ken! Glad there is more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait.. 1000s.. with the S??? If they will be to this level that will be quite the sight then!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't just talk about Big Games on the Podcast 😁👍

      Delete
  6. Great looking tiny troops, a lovely looking pallet cleanser!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely looking unit, Ken. While I always like 28+ for the joy of painting, I quite like the smaller scales for gaming, especially when they are used to their natural advantage in reinforcing mass (formed troops), or reflecting ground scale (skirmish games). I look forward to seeing more of this project in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, this will very much be a slow burner but the 9 units I've done so far look great all together 😁

      Delete
  8. Those models look awesome Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look absolutely smashing! Very clean painting and you even highlighted them, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one highlight, they are 10mm after all 😆

      Delete
  10. Beautiful! They look like much larger models they're so well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, they are a lot larger through a pair of reading glasses 😉

      Delete
  11. Wow! These 120mm chappies really do look the part. A great "massed ranks" feel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful looking unit Ken, really lovely

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete