Monday 23 January 2023

KenR : 1/700 WW2 Naval - HMS Javelin (40 points)

Another week, another ship ! Or another week another distraction from the Italian Wars ๐Ÿ˜† depending on your point of view. I have a big box full of these ships to build and paint and as I said in my previous posts, I'm having way to much fun with them.

Today's model is the Tamiya 1/700 HMS Jervis kit which I've built and painted up as HMS Javelin. Resplendent in a lovely camo scheme fresh out of my new Malcolm Wright book. The dark blue really gives the ship a different look. I wasn't sure at first but its definitely growing on me.

For Naval Pendants the 6 on the Hull side should be half white, half black in line with the camo pattern but I couldn't get it to look right. Also when this scheme was used a Torpedo bank had been removed and an addition AA gun added. But for me this project is about the joy of modelling and the look of the finished "product".

Points wise I'm sticking with 40, which I think is fair. The ships are pretty big and as I said before these take me a full day to paint and base (not including build and priming) which is usual for 8 28mm figs for me. 

So that's another week gone, I am actually going to start on some Italian Wars this week and I've got some time off so I hope to get some points on the board after a slow start. There is also a Liberty Ship, the Bismarck and some more 10mm on the go, so hopefully a busy week next week.

Regards Ken

The Yarkshire Gamer 

Your take on HMS Javelin is wonderful Ken and I really like how you've replicated the camo pattern. I appreciate your decision to not convert the model (nixing the set of tubes and adding an AA mount) to match the pattern.  It's also a good thing that you decided not to model her with her stern blown off in Mountbatten's action in the Channel.   I have the Mal Wright book and it's a wonderful resource for this type of modelling.  Excellent work on the basing too, I can also feel the salt spray coming over the focsle.   

You'd best get started on some Italian Wars stuff soon, but I also hope we'll get to see some of your 1/700 on table in combat.

38 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic project, I'm following with interest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another nice ship, Ken! Good to have some distractions from those 10mms! Err... from Italian Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another great 1/700 scale ship, Ken! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool. Love seeing these and how you do the water effects! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Looks great Ken! The "water-work" is really outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great vessel, the camo is great and suits her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could look at your ships for hours mate. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Millsy, I'm really enjoying doing these !

      Delete
  8. I'm tempted to run to my local store and pick up one of these kits now. Lovely work on this ship, it's inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Italian wars figures but I'm really enjoying these ships, great looking camouflage!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should try some Camouflage on my Italian Wars ๐Ÿค”

      Delete
  10. Fantastic models. The basing is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning Ken. Just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply superb Ken, a great looking ship that is for certain!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely fab looking ship, Ken. Your first photo looks like it could be a painting by some naval artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, turned out grand that photo ๐Ÿ“ธ

      Delete