Tuesday 10 January 2023

From PeteF: Minifigs! French Line Infantry for Historical Drama (140 points)


If you've read my previous Minifigs posts - apologies if there's some repetition here!  This battalion of fine French fellows is one of the last units I need to complete my Quatres Bras project.  It has been a journey - one started by my Dad in the 1980s when he embarked on a project to paint Wellington's 100 Days army on a ratio of 25:1.  I haven't yet counted all of them but I think it's around 3 thousand meticulously painted Anglo Allied Minifigs.


He also painted  few French for me when I was a kid - these joined my Airfix on the wargaming "table" - a whole lot of big boards balanced together in the dining room - sometimes for a couple of days, which mum didn't love.  




My brother introduced me to wargaming - and he inherited the Minifigs army, adding French units to try and achieve some balance with Wellington's masses.  He even repatriated some of the soldiers I brought across the Atlantic.  Sadly he passed away in 2016 before we could play Waterloo in his English garage and all the Minifigs came to me here in the States - it took several trips.


The Waterloo French army seems a bit of a stretch - the 100 Days even more so - but Quatres Bras is within reach at this scale: 33 battalions and around 10 cavalry regiments.  I did a bunch two Challenges ago but in the interim have been distracted by other projects.  With this battalion I'm nearly there - 2 more infantry units, 1 big cavalry unit, completing 2 other halfway finished cavalry units, plus some command and work on the bases.


Then I'll have to see if any of my friends want to come and play! These Minifigs will represent the 3rd battalion of the 1st Light Infantry.  I always enjoy painting Minifigs with their distinctive chunky sculpts.  It takes me back to wargames of yore.  Good times. 

24x25mm figures plus a studio for a total of 140 points.

 





It's a treat to see more of this ongoing project of yours, Pete. Those French chaps look great. Just a reminder - if you are doing the studio tour, please include a progress map in your posts (see my admin post from yesterday).

Tamsin



22 comments:

  1. Excellent job. The truly "Old School Napoleonics"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - You can't beat Minifigs for Old School looks

      Delete
  2. Minifigs - like seeing a dear old friends -takes me back to Bruce Quarrie's book that was so inspiring. I love mine but they're 15mm. Do you have trouble sourcing more Peter? Did they like they did with the 15s change the sculpting style ever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost my old Quarrie and had to find another one - although I'm not sure I'll ever have the patience and accountancy skills to use the rules. Caliver Books still sells Minifigs so it is possible to fill in gaps - they're on the expensive side if you want to buy in bulk but at least they still cast them. In 25mm there were 2 generations - the first generation is closer to 22mm - quite spindly figures. The second generation has the more familiar, well fed proportions of classic Minifigs.

      Delete
  3. Some nice progress on this big, big project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu - I hope to get some pictures of the 2 armies once I'm finished

      Delete
  4. Fantastic, brings back memories, my first metal
    minifigs were in 1979 on my tenth birthday!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt!. I still have the ones from Christmases and birthdays way back when!

      Delete
  5. Ooooh those are lovely. Very elegant Toy Soldier poses, but they paint up so nicely with proper love and attention as you have shown them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this project and am so chuffed to see it nearing its completion. It would almost be worth the trip to 'Merica to see them in all their glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost? You know you'd always be welcome - we have both a guest room and a barn depending on your preference and where you like to game.

      Delete
  7. this is a great project, wonderfully painted

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splendid looking minifigs, a recurring highlight of the challenge, what will we do when you finish them all?!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to buy a few more tables and 6x4s to make a giant playing surface in the barn, invite a few friends round and play Quatres Bras. I'll do it as a participation game at a local convention. Then maybe I'll start painting another French Corps... there's always Waterloo.

      Delete