Tuesday 10 January 2023

From Kerry T - "All over the place" - World Cinema or High Adventure? ( 505 points)

 Morning, afternoon & evening all

After a slow start thankfully I've managed to get the paintbrush moving at speed but as you'll see below I'm a little all over the place.

 As I've probably said before one "single period enthusiast" wargamer of some renown once described my collection of figures as "all over the place". I think this was said with just a little disdain but I decided that I would take it as a compliment. The happy consequence of a having a Butterfly tendency is that I seem to have a lot of periods to choose from.

This in itself is quite a handy thing when it comes to chasing squirrels. Thus with last years Squirrel Challenge title in my grasp I feel the only honourable thing is to try and defend that title. I promise to be on my best behaviour and not to bite, scram or spit at my fellow challengers 😀 but at the moment I've been left trailing  in their wake. So this is an attempt to not let them get too far ahead. The only problem is that I also want to finish of some decent size units as well as five figure ones so here we go....

Fist up- Colonel John Lamplugh's Regiment of Foote

First Corps ECW figures

I thought I'd completed all my Royalist foot regiments last year but found a lone set of flags for this regiment (Flags of War) that I'd overlooked. Initially earmarked for Parliamentarian troops these First Corps figures now find themselves as another white coated regiment on the side of the King

Yesterday morning there was a moment when there was the very tiniest possibility that they could have been morphed into one of those turnipy units so beloved it seems of a few lunatics that seem to be around here!

A mad rush to finish basing and blutack "piking" to get them ready for today

Thankfully common sense prevailed and no tufts were stuck to the bluetack either deliberately or by accident






At 37 figures this is one bloody big squirrel!

Thy aren't about to have an easy passage over that bridge though....

Sir Arthur Hessilrigge's Regiment of Horse, unhorsed


Bloody Parliamentarians always seem to block any progress!


Bloody Miniatures, a real joy to paint


I have all the BM releases bar the Scots but these are the first I've painted

Sticking with the First Corps theme, some Dark Age carts

Ye olde trafficke jam



Now the same sleepy village a few hundred years in the future..


My First BUF figures


Footsore Miniatures BUF infantry


Its always good to see Fascists running away

I have  a VBCW collection that started when good mate Giles Allison painted some figures and gave them to me when he called to see me in NZ. 

My VBCW backstory is here https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vbcf/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=3402&p=31799#p31799. Its the story of the mysterious half-twins Verdun and Ypres born in a mining village of South Wales (its long mind yew and something of a tall tale!)

That's it for the verdant green of England and I'm now butterflying off to the heat of the desert and some plastic Griping Beast Arab Heavy Cavalry - half a box, I would like to have completed the box of 12 but had to settle for 6 as I need squirrels


Thank god for LBMS shield transfers


Half a box of Gripping Beast Plastic Arab heavy Cavalry

Finally with the desert theme I'm finishing off with Artizan Designs Arab Sharifan WW1 infantry. The aim was to shoot another squirrel and I painted 5 initially but eventually added the remaining 7 later to finish off all I have. I still have some of the irregular infantry I painted at the end of last year's challenge to finish

These are regular troops with a standard uniform


Not sure if its reasonably authentic but it will do


 That arid grass is an horrid colour, I wanted it to be more pale



Apologies for such a long post but I had a busy painting week as there was no golf and the weather was too wet to get in the garden. I'm not sure if I want it to rain again this week so I have an excuse to spend a lot of time painting!

As far as bonus points go I'm not sure what to claim - while these Arabs are intended to accompany Lawrence in wrecking Ottoman trains in the desert, he was painted years ago so it might not quite qualify as High Adventure.

If not then maybe I could claim World Cinema for the ECW as I no longer live in the UK. I would be grateful to Tamsin if she would advise

In Summary -

37 Royalist foot @ 5 points = 185
5 Dismounted Parliamentarian Horse @ 5 points = 25 
3 Dark Age carts @ 10 points (they are more like artillery than vehicles I think) = 30 points
10 Dark age civilians and bullocks @ 5 points = 50 points
6 Arab Crusades mounted figures @ 10 points = 60
5 VBCW foot 2 5 points = 25
12 Arab WW1 infantry at 5 points = 60

? Bonus for World Cinema or High Adventure @ 20 points
Grand Total 450 points
(Oooh a points bomb! )
Maybe most importantly a Scurry of  6 Squirrels thereby bringing my total so far to 7


Wow! What a mixed-bag points bomb this post is. Carts are vehicles, so that's how I'm scoring them - they're at least as big as a jeep which scores 20 points! I'm happy to count the WW1 Arab "regulars" as High Adventure, and the Arabs for World Cinema. 

Tamsin

36 comments:

  1. That bomb hurts as a squirrel challenger myself, but the painting work is a gift to my eyes. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I think I'm going to struggle in the squirrel challenge as I want to produce some large units so we'll have to see!

      Delete
  2. terrific painting, and the photography amongst the very nice terrain is top notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff, terrain are rated up TSS terrain tiles I brought to NZ with me in 1999

      Delete
  3. So impressed by how much you can get out Kerry and all first rate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon- its been so wet here there was nothing else to do!

      Delete
  4. That's a lot! And beautiful painting, too. I'm quite speechless, there's so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huge Points Bomb! Loving the ECW collection I must say lovely photos too

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Matt - inspiration and credit for ECW comes from watching Simon Millar

      Delete
  6. Whew, I need a lie down after looking at all of these lovelies! Really like those ECW types, especially the dismounted lobsters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, they were so easy to paint, I'm going to get the Bloody Miniatures Scots now

      Delete
  7. This entry is like a colony of squirrels! Really wonderful painting all around and the photography is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you got a few cheap LED lights after seeing them on Ken Reilly's blog - I must add that I'm in the process of copying that superb Church you did on your blog - one of the best terrain pieces I've seen, so thank you

      Delete
  8. Love these! Beautiful work, Kerry. I especially like the unit of pike and shotte (they would make marvelous Turnip troops...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers one I stuck the blue tack on I had a thought - "I wonder what Curt would do now!"

      Delete
  9. Great looking models in that points bomb. Glad not to see any weird vegetables

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad too as I'm not smoking some of those weird drugs that others must be doing

      Delete
  10. Great post - love the pictures . Smart units

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is a boatload of fantastic figs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work Kerry. I've been wary of those Gripping Beast plastics, but perhaps I am wrong? You make them look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I love them as much as my metal Perry, Blacktree, Footsore and Artizan but they're a cheap way of going big

      Delete
  13. I also want to say thank you to you Tamsin for your points generosity and general encouragement

    ReplyDelete
  14. Splendid mixed bag points bomb! Love the pike and shot unit, although they're all eclectic and great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Iain - I want to get onto some Italian wars Spanish pike soon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, Kerry, what a blast! I truly like all of them, but the WWI Arabs are my favourite. I think you may just have knocked me out for the squirrel duel though 🤣. Well done sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of time yet but others are streets ahead

      Delete
  17. Very nice figures! A wide range of interesting subject matters, particularly like the Arab infantry and Royalist Foot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I love the Artizan range of figures and they seem to suit my style

      Delete
  18. Magnificent work, Kerry! Hard to choose a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I enjoyed painting the Bloody Miniatures most I think

      Delete
  19. What a truly stunning entry - quality, quantity and diversity! I very much applaud your squirrel approach - why collect and research just one period when you can do one hundred, including what-ifs and never-happeneds?

    ReplyDelete