Tuesday 10 January 2023

From IanS: 15mm Palmyran (184pts)

 

Well, I remembered this week to do the post, work was hectic and I forgot last week.

 Palmyran Army

 This army came about as I fancied painting a new ancient army as for the last two years I have been repainting existing armies.  I had heard about the Palmyrans and looked on the DBA army list and started from there.

So First up is the General and his standard bearer for the Palmyran Army, I have no idea what company the figures came from as they were part of a job lot on eBay a couple of years ago.  The Draco standard is home made from green stuff and the lance could have been thicker.




Next up is the last unit of Cataphracts the figures are from Forged in battle.




Then we have the last two units of Light horse archers.  In my last post I mentioned I could never tell which way round they were facing, well it was only when basing I noticed that one rider is actually stuck on his horse the wrong way round.  I am fine with this and he is obviously a parthian.




Last but not least are two heavy infantry units again figures from forged in battle.



So here is the finished army.

 




On the left the heavy hitters:  5 units of Cataphracts with the Army general with 3 units of light for screening those Cataphracts

Infantry consists of 4 Heavy archer units.  Yes there should be 4 figures to a base but I did the maths wrong when ordering.  3 Heavy Infantry to give backbone to the Infantry Line and last but not least 3 Light infantry archers for skirmishing 

This army equates to 1250pts in our local rules which is a club night sized army. 

Next up some roman allies for this army if they had such a thing.


So points being claimed:

Army General - 2 x 15mm figures each 4pts = 8pts

Cataphracts - 12 x 15mm figures each 4pts = 48 pts

Light horse - 16 x 15mm figures each 4pts = 64pts

Heavy Infantry - 32 x 15mm figures each 2 pts = 64pts

Total 184pts

May I also claim 3 squirrels one each for Cataphract, Light cavalry and Heavy Infantry


I was wondering if you'd forgotten to finish the post last week - I saw it sitting there marked "draft" all day (and it had been there the previous day when I checked). That's a great looking army.

As for the squirrel points, sadly you just get one for these as they are all from the same army.

Tamsin

14 comments:

  1. Great work on these Palmyrans Ian! Cataphracts are always crowd pleasers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Ian. The green cloaks are quite eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good looking force and it is always nice to have something finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic, I have some of these to paint

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got to love a Palmyrian army and this one looks ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Palmyra, the pinnacle of the mysterious Middle East. A great army, Ian, love seeing them arrayed in all their splendour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb, great looking army

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for comments will let you know how they do on Friday. if true to form I will get the cataphracts surrounded by infantry.

    ReplyDelete