Friday 27 January 2023

From TamsinP: 15mm Roman & Numidian Cavalry [Swords & Sandals] (104 points)

 


Moving on from the Westerns studio, I find myself in the Swords & Sandals studio. Luckily, in the drawer of minis I failed to paint in AHPC XII there were some 15mm cavalry figures that worked for this and which will help to round out my Early Imperial Roman army for Art de la Guerre.


Numidian Light Cavalry




I only need two bases for a "standard" 200 point army; the third base (which has the two figures with damaged javelins) will allow me to run a 300 point army if I ever fancy a larger (and longer) game.


Roman Auxiliary Cavalry




On checking my (painted) Roman army box, I found that I already have more cavalry than I actually need, so these will just be for if I want to run auxiliary cavalry with different shields.

I did have some Gallic cavalry to paint as well, but I realised that I wouldn't get them finished and be able to base everything in time to get them submitted this week, so the Gauls will make a separate appearance.

The figures are all 15mm from Lancashire Games.





For Scoring

21 x 15mm cavalry @ 4 = 84 points

1 x studio @ 20 = 20 points

Total = 104 points


Next stop - the Fantasy studio


Friday Minion: Morning Tamsin, great to have you with us on a chilly Friday. I imagine it's satisfying finishing a project like this (or better, painting things because they're there, even if you don't need them) - alas the butterfly in me means I seldom have the pleasure. 

Nice job, both of these cavalry units look great. I find Numidians look good in any scale with the extra visual interest of their hide shields, and the accurate horse markings really lift these minis. 




41 comments:

  1. Nice cavalry, Tamsin. It is nice to have different possibilities, like cavalry units with different shields. I hope these red shields fare well in battle and won't get buried in boxies just because some other shields work better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a niciely painted bunch of small models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work, Tamsin. The Romans are excellent and I particularly like the Numidians with their hide shields. It's always nice to have some expanded options for your army selection (or if you decide to use them for a different system).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool looking units of cavalry. It's always better to have more painted minis than you need than to have too few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! *looks at army storage shelves, boxes, etc* I think I have the "more painted minis than you need" well covered! :)

      Delete
  5. Great brushwork as usual Tamsin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like the way you've painted the horses, they're ace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Tamsin. The Roman shields really pop and are excellent. The Numidian horse are also dead on. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As impressive as the painting is the pace at which you are racing through the studio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I'm not racing through them as fast as some people! :)

      Delete
  9. Great work Ms P. Love the shields

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice clean painting, Tamsin. One can never have enough Romans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I definitely need some more legionaries and foot auxilia! :)

      Delete
  11. Splendid looking Roman cavalry!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can never have too much cavalry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true! And I believe I owe you some credit for my choice of tunic colour. :)

      Delete
  13. They look great, especially like the Numidian’s

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete