Tuesday 11 January 2022

From TashaH: The Sacred Well [Solaris] (25 points)

My last submission left me sitting on the lovely planet of Arda. Having taken an extra week to enjoy the scenery, it’s time to venture to further destinations.

Off to Solaris it is, a planet of deception and illusion.

This is the first piece I have created that will be used in game. To say I’m excited about that is an understatement! This Sacred Well (Artisan Guild) will form part of an upcoming Moonstone scenario. How? I have no idea. The SnowLord keeps such things very close to his chest! 


It took me a few goes at this to get it where I wanted. The grey stones surrounding the well, combined with the rocks really made me question my colour choices, as they initially just looked like a big blob of meh. (grayscale is HARD!) Adding some Talassar Blue, Shyish Purple and Warp Lightning Contrast into the rocks really brought them to life. I kept the stones primarily grey tones, with a sparing wash of burnt umber craft paint in  a few places for a bit of variation.  

I really wanted movement and the illusion of depth in the water. I utilized several tones of blues, greens and metallics to try to create a magical, deep swirling pool. 

Be careful how deeply you look into the Well. Is that something emerging from the water or merely a reflection of yourself? Wait … is that a Moonstone? Be careful if you choose to reach in… you never know what lays beneath the surface.


The points…

2” terrain piece: 5 points

Planet bonus: 20 points

Total: 25 points

Chocolate Cake Duel points: 5 (bonus points don't count towards the cake!)


Next up: A quick jaunt to Vulcan…

 


That is a lovely terrain piece, Tasha! For someone who has only just started painting miniatures you are doing very well - I suspect an art background!

Tamsin

55 comments:

  1. another great piece, you have nailed the water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martin! I had a lot of fun with the water.

      Delete
  2. That is altogether lovely. The thought and artistry you put into that piece is immediately recognizable. Well done.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Natasha - painting terrain is always a drag (or, at least, it is for me). Well done, and fine results here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greg! I really enjoy painting terrain. I’m drawn to it far more than the figures. I’m sure that will change :)

      Delete
  4. Great looking well! I'm sure our beloved Snowlord will come up with something suitably dramatic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m certain you are correct. I’m excited to see what the Snowlord comes up with!

      Delete
  5. That is a nice piece of terrain, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool looking Piece and great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work Natasha, love the water effects. Looking forward to seeing this 9n table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter! Hopefully the weather cooperates and I can make it in for a game soon!

      Delete
  8. Thank you Tamsin! I have dabbled in artsy endeavours here and there, but primarily in abstracts. I can’t draw/paint likenesses! (I’m great with a stick figure … I mean amazing hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, an Enchanted Well, very cool!
    Our Moonstone World is turning into quite the wondrous land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I anticipate some Moonstone shenanigans in our future!

      Delete
  10. I really like this piece Natasha and look forward to incorporating it into one of our games. I'm struck at how uninhibited you are with experimenting with colour, especially in using layers. It's very cool and gives such wonderful depth to your work. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt! It is incredibly rewarding to have something translate from brain to brush to figure! Of course, there’s also the frustration when that translation is lost, but we won’t talk about that!

      Delete
  11. Greyscale is hard. Great painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter! I’m definitely going to have to look up some ‘how to’ videos on greyscale.

      Delete
  12. Fantastic Natasha - I take my hat off to you - the planning and thinking that goes into painting something like this, unlike just slapping on chainmail or copying a know uniform merits respect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s so funny you say that! I think the exact opposite, in that it must take so much planning and thinking to stay true to a historical uniform or existing colour scheme!

      Delete
  13. Great work. The way you have differentiated between the stones and the rocks is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nicely done Natasha in particular the gem stone on the face.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Christopher! That maybe a Moonstone, or maybe not?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super stuff! I particularly like the subtle colour variation on the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really nice, the depth of water is extraordinary. I wouldn’t be expecting good luck if I chucked a coin in there…..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What’s that saying… be careful what you wish for, it may come true? I feel that may be the case here!

      Delete
  18. Whether it is a moonstone or not, it looks great and the whole piece is very nice indeed! I'd say you have been painting for years!

    ReplyDelete
  19. well that well really got the creative juices flowing! Nice piece of terrain indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful set piece. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely, atmospheric piece of terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  22. Super looking piece, so much detail and character 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a nice little piece!

    ReplyDelete