Sunday 22 January 2023

DennisC 28mm Roman Velites, Slingers and Light Horse for Hail Caesar (150pts)

This week I worked on finishing off my second units of Lights.   I already had one unit each of Velites, Slingers and Light Cavalry with Javelin painted up for Art de la Guerre, but gearing up for the release of Hail Caesar 2, I wanted to get second units up.   The infantry I used GW Contrast, hence the white basecoats. 



I used Vallejo Prussian Blue for the shields though, and hand painted the laurels.   to differentiate from my first units, these laurels will be green not yellow.


Likewise, green laurels on the second unit of light cavalry


14x 28mm Inf plus 6x 28mm horse puts me at... <calculator noises>  130points



I made a trade with Scott Roach: I would get his painted Praetorians x20 in exchange for some metals.   I need units of 24 for Hail Caesar, so I had to 'paint 4 more' and also redo the shields (they were blue) and rebase them all.

Painting 4x Praetorians was nothing.   Rebasing everything was.. a bit of a chore.  These accursed WLG Praetorian shield decals.. it took me roughly ten hours to do just the 24 shields!   The most time-consuming 20 points :)


This puts me past my 750pt goal, so pushing forward, where next to conquer?

Hate transfers, love hand painted shields, some bonus points there for you. Great work

18 comments:

  1. Great looking Romans. Love the basing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smashing stuff Dennis. The infantry are lovely but for me the pick is the hand painted wreaths, big props for that mate as I know from personal experience how hard they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Praetorians are great, the laurels are really very convincing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hand painted shields always look great. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow lovely Romans. Loving those shields!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous Romans, Dennis! Those Praetorians look suitably like tough nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good stuff, Dennis! Time consuming, but very good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on those Romans... and hand painted shields!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice work there, more so with the freehand painting on the shields! Dedication there and then some!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great romans and very nice wreaths on the shields

    ReplyDelete
  11. Admirable work on the shields even if it is madness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking Romans! Lovely shields!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice job, Dennis! I like the freehand shields best, but can understand the uniformity of dreaded decals, still your effort on the cohort is definitely worth it as they look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work on those Dennis, agree about the transfers that is for sure

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete