Sunday 22 January 2023

From PhilH: Scouting Out Under Construction (45 Points)

Hello folks! 

Finally starting my journey around AHPC Studios with two posts. I've bounced excitedly around a whole load of projects over the past few weeks, never quite getting anything over the line, but seeding work for half a dozen studio locations. But with the Cut looming, its well past time to sit down and write a post. 


I was reasonably prepared for the Challenge, and with a lot of old projects in storage I didn't think I had much that was half-finished. While digging about in the basement, my eyes fell on this mdf stable block, primed and based, that just need the judicious application of drybrushing. I reckon it’s bans sat unpainted for nearly 10 years. I've got a farm complex to go with it somewhere. 





It was looking a bit plain, so I did use some of this newfangled hobby technology to 3D print a rake. I finished it in an evening. Isn't being a hobby butterfly daft, sometimes? 

It's about 3/4 of a standard terrain cube, so an easy 15 points. 



But that's not all! While we're here, I've another contribution to under construction. While painting my second AHPC Studios entry, I was matching them to some Scout Troopers that I painted in 2020. When I dug out said scout troopers, they were unbased and I'd cut a bunch of corners, being really sick of painting white armour on black undersuits and desperate to call them done. So I brought them up to standard, with some tidying up, an extra highlight to the undersuits and weapons, picking out the lenses in a menacing red and threw on some weathering powders around their feet. 



These are from the official Star War Legion range. One of my bugbears with that range is that there is no variety in the units, so where have multiple sets, I spend a bit of time hacking up duplicate models to make them unique: mostly switching the arms and repositioning heads. It’s a bit of a faff on these soft plastic models, but I think worth it in the end. With the proliferation of 3D printing, I suspect I'll have to do this less and less: I'll just run off a second unit of aftermarket sculpts instead.



As they were mostly painted and we don’t score models started before the Challenge, I'll just suggest scoring the basing; we traditionally deduct about 20% for unbased miniatures, so I'll make a bid to claim a point apiece now. Ten scout troopers pimped and based, 10 points, if Minion Martin agrees?




15 for the stable, 10 for the scouts, 20 for the location = 35 points. Still lagging behind Caleb, and not a squirrel in sight (yet).


Love the barn and the bad shot guys easily deserve a point each for the bases

11 comments:

  1. Great looking stable, should make fine table dressing. Also loving the Storm troopers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that you made the cut, Phil! Good looking barn, there might some rebels inside? Or is it for target practice for your scouts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice stable, this is where MDF works best for me, ramshackle or basic buildings. Love the scouts too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very fine stable, Phil! Either you prepared your post beforehand, or you just escaped the cut by an even closer margin than you think! Glad you made it though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice weathered barn, and well done on the troopers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great barn and well done on making the cut

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the barn and the resuscitation of the scouts. I really like the basework you did for them

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb work on the stable and the scouts Phil

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking stable and I like the extra effort you put into the Scout Troopers (and the basework looks ace).

    ReplyDelete