Tuesday 7 February 2023

From AlanD - Terrain and a Little Gun (95 points)

First up this week, I finished a support weapon as part of my ongoing 28mm Battle Group Partisan project. The gun is a 75mm mountain gun from Great Escape Games, although I painted it before the challenge. 

I painted up the crew this week as members of the 7th SS Prinz Eugen Mountain Division, attempting the autumn 'oak leaf' camouflage, so 15 points for them please! First time I've attempted this camo, so any feedback is appreciated. The figures are kitbashed from bits of Warlord SS and Perry Afrika Korps.


One of my New Year's Resolutions was to make more terrain this year. I've made a start on some winter terrain for 28mm, to match the WWII Romanians and Soviets I've painted over the past year. My girlfriend calls them 'dolls' houses'.

A couple of houses are Zvezda models, while the rest are 3D prints. I made the thatch from an old towel my daughter ruined while dyeing her hair.




If I tetris all the buildings together they fill a space about 12x18 inches, which I think makes them worth 120 points? If so, with the figures I should be able claim 135 points this week, but I defer to the wisdom of Tamsin!


Well, you got this one in in time, Alan - just as well I was checking. The oak leaf pattern camo looks good, but for the autumn version the smaller dot clusters are orange rather than green, so you've done a decent summer oak leaf camo.

As far as the terrain goes, the points are based on volume, not area, hence the "terrain cube" for scoring rather than "terrain square". It's difficult to tell from the photos, but it looks as though only one of the buildings is about 6" tall, the rest about 4". As there's a lot of dead space in terms of height, I'll assume the average height of the batch is 4". That comes out as 4 terrain cubes, so 80 points.

Tamsin


17 comments:

  1. Camo looks great to me and I love all the extra details you put into the terrain. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the gun team and the buildings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Dux. I like the camo even if they are a season behind the fashions. Got a chuckle out of both the dolls houses and the towel ruined by daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The camo is great, having tried those patterns myself, it is a lot of work but it looks fantastic once it is done. The houses look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cammo and nice buildings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent camo and superb dolls' houses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that camo work and the snow effect on the buildings is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great mate - looking forward to seeing your wintery table setup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Alan. And any attempt at bonkers German WW2 cammo patterns is to be saluted - the result here is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work here, Alan. Love the 75mm 'door knocker' and the cammo looks excellent. Also love the wintery buildings - great use of a ruined towel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That camo came out very well, whichever season it represents. Very well done, Alan. And your little is an absolute gem, I love the thatch, and the little bits of standing and lying about make it really come alive. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely camo, I've done it and know what a pain it is, love the eastern village and nice thatch!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice work on the camo, really looks the part. If those are "doll's houses" I wonder what your GFs childhood was like. Sounds bleak!

    ReplyDelete