Tuesday 28 February 2023

From DaveD - the BUFF and the chickens (207 points)

Keeping Tuesday Turnip Free! I have enlisted the help of General Cheeseburger . 


And what better to make roast vegetables than one of these bad boys - a B52 or a Big Ugly Fat F****r Carrying 30 tons of destruction. Oh this is a big boy. 


So big I had take it outside to get proper pictures !


Biggest decals I’ve ever worked on - at least they were decent quality . Nice big 2nd Airforce markings on the tail 


It’s painted up in South East Asia camo . With a black underside and tail .


Yes this is true madness - a B52 in 1/72nd - I had to compromise from 1/48th  in the end .I picked up the kit on  eBay with some bits missing hence it was cheaper than normal . I had to make the transparency for the cockpit from bits of yoghurt pot etc . Its a 32 inch wingspan , 28 inches long and 6 inches high . About the size of 12 normal 1/72nd fighter kits . Or if we apply the rule of Ken and multiply lots who knows how many points this is  ! So I will leave that with Tamsin to work out points .I certainly used a lot of paint through the airbrush !


 

Cue Major Kong - is that a major root vegetable site down there?


I might just have to throw it off the shed roof to “to destroy” it . 

Now what’s it for I hear you say . Well it’s for Nam , but not obviously as flying playing model - the flight stand would be worth all the challenge points in the world on its own . Well I have two options at the moment . Having dug around there is scenario fodder in that while these were based in Thailand the VC did do some commando raids , destroying some other aircraft on the ground  . That will all look cool, so  I have the wheels kept separate to use for that if need be . The other option which I had originally intended is to wreck it up into multiple parts to make table dressing and for scenario fodder for special ops etc . This is the most likely next step , but for now it’s left complete as can be .Time to raise the communist airforce - or a least a SAM2 battery or 7  . 

Just to prove what a bonkers week it has been at the paint table - here is the opposition air force . 



Now we go from the ridiculous to the other end of the scale - here we have 40 x 28mm chickens . Pendraken has a great range of animals (Link) in a range of scales and these are just the thing to have running around the villages . Now I’m not sure there is category they fit in at 28mm - as 200 points at 5 per chicken is a great bonus! So again I will leave these to Tamsin . I won’t count the chickens to Never Ending Cold War .




That is a totally bonkers model, Dave! I think you need to get yourself a second one though to do as wreckage - that way you can still do both scenarios you mentioned. 

Now for the scoring. There is a precedent for 28mm chickens - set by me, I think...ahh, yes, here's the post linky-link. They got scored as 2 points for a base of three chooks plus one chick so let's say 27 points for your 40 chickens (13x3x2 = 26, plus one for the 40th bird).

As for the B52, I'm not sure I should really be the minion setting precedent for scoring huge models, given that I'm working on a huge 28mm spaceship. Nevertheless, I'm happy to go with it being the equivalent of twelve 20mm vehicles as you suggest.

Tamsin

37 comments:

  1. Now they’re a thought - I need 2! Scores feel right - ta

    ReplyDelete
  2. work of genius, I may be a butterfly but you are insane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me too well…. Two would be insane

      Delete
  3. Impressed by the B52, no doubt at all; but you have made an excellent job with the "oppposing forces"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed doing the chickens - they came out well

      Delete
  4. Great work Dave -- love the chickens (Pendraken do such lovely livestock) and if you need a hand crashing that nice big B-52 I do remember being quite skilled at launching Airfix kits off the roof when I was younger 🤪

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Tuesday was already Turnipsed last week... :)
    I'm sure those chickens will finish any vegetation in no time, you should store them inside that huge metal tube - they'd be like janitors there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Massive and completely impractical, how very American of you Dave. She’s a beaut and it would be a shame to wreck it now. I think that you need three of them, flying, on the runway and wrecked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂😂😂 - you know me too well

      Delete
    2. Brilliant idea, Peter! No half measures Dave!

      Delete
  7. Cool looking little plane. Won't it look a bit small if it is actually on the table as terrain though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s so massive it will work I reckon

      Delete
  8. Wow great massive plane excellent chicks. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a ridiculus model plane,but in a good way? Nice chickens!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Dave, that's one heck of a plane, noice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stupendous! Wonderful work Dave. I like that VC raid scenario. Now, since you've prompted me, I think I may have some root vegetables coming up for next Tuesday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the raid is one that needs a game for sure

      Delete
  12. Superb aircraft Dave, the viet chickens may be in a little trouble of that shit load is dropped on them!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fine work Dave! That said, I don't think your efforts regarding Tuesdays will be any more successful than the historical efforts supported by these B-52s...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha , no probably not , but of course it might attract them here and save the other days !

      Delete
  14. Nice work, Dave! The B52 came out very well. I think you do need two more like Peter said one for runway and one as crashed....you should also do a Cessna 0-1 Bird Dog for search and rescue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes why not ! I have a Skymaster to do for FAC duties

      Delete
  15. Excellent work Dave. Where are you gonna store a monster like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the next campaign in storage wars !

      Delete
  16. That's brilliant Dave, love the chooks -Seems a shame to wreck such a lovely effort-so you know you actually need 4 of those planes, 1 flying, 1 on the runway, 1 wrecked and 1 for luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That’s some airplane! I think anyone would chicken out if that came over. Good job! If you get another you might need to build an hangar for it…

    ReplyDelete
  18. Magnificent overkill, well done.

    ReplyDelete