Tuesday 28 February 2023

From Kerry T - An Artizan Designs Spanish Colunella for the Great Italian Wars (240 points & Squirrel)

Morning Afternoon & Evening all

It was a bit of a mad rush this week again to get a complete unit finished and after rushing home this evening from work to complete this, I have to say the glue on the bases has only just dried and photos were taken in bit of a hurry. regrettably I've not had time to complete an additional female figure allowing me a limousine ride or a new studio. I don't think I can shoehorn again this week Tamsin!

As mentioned in the past my Italian wars project has been a slow burn project but thanks to the demands of this years challenge I've managed to get a bit of a fire going now and am making good inroads into the project.

The new Artizan Designs Spanish foot for the Renaissance range has only been out a few months and having bought 4 units I'm pleased to have completed my first unit for this army.

Pikemen, arquebusiers and sword & buckler work together

Each of my  Colunella (I've 'seen it spelled with one L and 2 LLs!) will be 48 figures strong and consist of 24 pikemen, 12 arquebus and 12 sword & buckler. The pike are based on 60 x 60 mm bases and the other foot on 30 x 60mm bases.


If I was starting again I'd probably use less depth for the pike


6 arquebus and 6 Sword & buckler arrayed on each pike flank


Flags are from Pete's flags and the Spanish cross from Flags of war


There are some nice variations in the figure packs


There are 12 different pikemen in 3 packs


Bit of a close up - Pete makes great flags and you can never have too many

I still haven't sorted out a rule set yet

When I look at this I think they could be based more closely


I'd intended to use more muted colours when I started out

I've painted them a mix of red, yellow and orange in the main though I had intended to have these colours more muted, I might have to play Italian Wars games while wearing sunglasses!

All 12 sword & buckler


The arquebus are a little more muted but I wish I'd also given them a flag


The Flag of war cross is nice and bright

Finally a last picture of the unit running away as is usual for a newly painted unit


In summary

48 figures in total @ 5 points each = 240 points
1 Squirrel (an elephant sized Squirrel)
Codpiece & Feathers 240 points

Many thanks


That's a superb looking unit, Kerry - I'm really loving your Italian Wars entries.

Tamsin

31 comments:

  1. Superb work Kerry, love the flags too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Matt - flags make a unit I reckon

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. cheers Ray, they were actually very quick and easy to paint

      Delete
  3. Terrific indeed, as Ray says. Being Spanish myself, I can only say Olé!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benito but Colunella with 1 L or two?

      Delete
  4. Awesome! Lovely Spanish,what size are your bases? I went with 45mm x 45mm with six pikemen,bit tight but looks right to me, didn't know Artizan had done these, you've done a great job on them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely looking unit. They look like a tough veteran unit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful work, Kerry. I love the bright colours offered by the Italian Wars. I have my pike formations packed-in tight, but it takes a lot of models, and a some careful posing to make it look right. Yours looks excellent arrayed in their parade rest. As to rules, good ole 'Pike and Shotte' does the trick, but I also like 'Furioso' for the flavour. We've not tried Simon's 'To the Strongest' yet, but I'm sure it probably gives a good game as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt I think 20mm frontage is ok but maybe a depth of 45 may have been better

      Delete
  7. Fantastic looking group! I think the colors are fine the way they are, I can't imagine the Italians muting anything! ;)
    The flags are mighty fine with the regiment too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, I just seem to have used lots of red and yellow paint whatever unit for Italian Wars I've been painting!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Adam I'm pleased with the overall look

      Delete
  9. They look absolutely great, and I completely agree you can’t have too many flags, they provide a very nice touch. A very fine unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martijn Iused so many I need to buy more now!

      Delete
  10. Magnificent! I think you should play wearing sunglasses, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic looking unit - especially as feel the Spanish units are often overlooked in the Italian Wars.
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jez, there are so many enemies to chose from

      Delete
  12. Fine work as always Kerry - these Italian Wars units always look so lovely, what great units for the table!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent! Really like these Artizan figures and definitely a project for the future using your great work as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete