Wednesday 1 March 2023

From TeemuL: Sludge Shock Troopers (15 points)


There has been lots of fuzz about Turnips, but not enough of Sludge. So here we go. After clipping and gluing my initial army last year, I was left with different body parts, which weren't that suitable together. I have used some of them as gore tokens (casualty markers) and ghosts as shock tokens (terror markers), but I still had them and I was thinking about some uses for them. I had to create a different unit, because I couldn't use the left overs to make existing units larger. In the rulebook there is a unit called Shock Troops and I got some ideas. Recently I read some WSS magazine, where they made troops and trenches, but they actually didn't dig holes - the trench (or foxhole) was just a 2D area on the board and troops in trenches were half minis on bases, so they looked like being in a hole. I decided to combine those ideas in my head and create a unit of Shock Troops, lightly armoured and crossing a bog or a swamp.

These are Perry Miniature plastics, they are Zoauves torsos with right hands (bayonets clipped away) and random heads, left hands and swords from other sets. The end result is a bit of rag tag team (ie veteran) going through the mud, flanking the opponent and making the day. Painted with the glourious yellow and brown colours like the rest of my army, so they fit in nicely. My line troops have zoauve legs and hands, foot knight torsos and heads, so I had lots of zouaves torsos left. It makes sense that these shock troops in mud won't wear that much armour. By the rules, they have muskets and swords, so these are WYSIWYG. I tried to add less mud behind them, but it is not very obvious.

Also, I reached the Red Zone last week and Curt has assigned me a task to paint "Idoneth Deepkin team for Shadespire" - you know the great kit with a pretty crab. Yeah, I bought it almost the day it was released, because of the crab. I don't even play Shadespire, I just wanted (to paint) the crab. And now a few years later I have been ordered to paint the whole team. I guess this is some kind of a lesson of impulse buys or something. The team is now on my backlog, but it will be late March when it is ready.

Points are easy, 6 half 28mm minis, so 15 in total.

I didn't fool you, they are actually just half-minis! Clever. :)

14 comments:

  1. Now that is very different, nicely done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just had to think outside of the box for a short while. :)

      Delete
  2. Smart work, nicely done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, but it is not slime, it is mud. :)

      Delete
  4. Nice use of spare bits. They look like they are in the sludge of a turnip field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see turnips everywhere! But otherwise I'm glad my attempt was succesful.

      Delete
  5. Almost as bonkers as turnips, but well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Sludge is quite similar to Turnip28.

      Delete