Thursday 28 December 2023

From Millsy: 28mm WW2 Aussies in the Western Desert (305 points)

G'day All!

I hope everyone is well and enjoying a safe and relaxing break with plenty of hobby time. It's great to be back amongst the best people on the planet and participating in my 12th Challenge! I feel even more like a grognard typing that but it's something I'm proud to have in my hobby history regardless.

My first post this year is a sizable chunk of stuff for a long overdue project from my POV - 2nd Australian Imperial Force (AIF) for the Western Desert in WW2.


Since I started wargaming I've been fascinated by the Western desert campaign and the achievements of the Australians at Bardia, Tobruk, El Alamein and beyond. I've had a matching 15mm Flames of War force for a loooooong time and am always ready to take on any and all comers. The boys never disappoint, even when on the losing side.

Stepping up in scale with the Aussies is something I've really enjoyed. The Warlord Games models are for the most part very nice indeed, with just the odd pose you can mostly work around with some creative modelling. These infantry are almost exclusively from the newer Commonwealth sprues which are good overall but do have some weird gaps like no separate weapons. This meant raiding the bits box to arm a few prone figures but you can't easily tell the weapons are incorrect.

I've also included a number of Eureka Miniatures heads in the iconic slouch hat as the ones on the sprue are too few in number and a bit samey-samey. The sniper team is also from Eureka and very nice indeed. I think it is meant to be a jungle themed set but the bare chest and slouch hat are perfect for the desert. The mortar and MG teams are metal Warlord Games kits.


I won't go into exhaustive detail on the various teams and sections here. There's a command with hangers on, at least one of every basic weapon team option and four medium sized rifle sections. I've limited myself to typical 1941ish Aussie infantry battalion armament so there's no SMGs (proper NCOs carry rifles!) and the Boys AT is the heaviest hitter here. That'll make it a harder list to play vs. vehicles but my main opponent is Italian so apart from (hilarious) light tanks and armoured cars I won't be facing anything armoured anyway.


All up this is 53 infantry and 2 crewed weapons for a total of 285 points. I'm also submitting this as my History entry for the Challenge Library bringing the total to 305 points to start off. The qualified librarian in me wants you to know these will be filed under DDC 940.542 - History and Geography > Europe > Europe1918- > Military History Of World War II > Campaigns and battles by theatre. You learned something today!

Coming up next for this project is a couple of Universal Carriers and an iconic 25pdr howitzer. Eventually there will also be a Matilda II tank and maybe one or two other fluffy items.

Cheers,
Millsy

_____________________________________

Fabulous opening barrage, Millsy!

I admire you painting almost as much as your grasp of Dewey Decimal Classification, young man. I also like your use of Eureka head swaps to add that little bit more Aussieness to your force - well done. Finally I think your desert groundwork spot on. It makes me want to reach for sunscreen and a cool umbrella drink.

305 points is quite the stonk, and puts you at the top of the roster (for now). Congrats! look forward to the upcoming additions to these hard-fighting Rats.

- Curt

23 comments:

  1. Very nice! Warlord plastics are great for customization and kitbashing, so no two forces are the same You’ve done a great job getting them looking unified, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boom! nice post full of points but more of great models! And something learned to boot! Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent looking force. Adding Dewey Decimal Classifications though might be a bit beyond me though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bam and there goes the points bomb, love the style of painting and the ground work, a very nice entry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking army, Millsy! You might just reach your 500 point target.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome along lad .. nice desert chaps indeed .. 500 pts! Wtf … you are more than half way there! Excellent

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all. I broke my leg quite badly back at the beginning of November and couldn't sit upright so set a low target to begin with. I'm recovering well this last week so I'll be upping the total significantly to my normal 1500.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah! .ouch for the leg ..but good to hear your in the mend matey

      Delete
  8. great start to the challenge, fantastic figs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you’re on the mend from the busted leg Millsy. These diggers are excellent. They need an M39 with a Kangaroo decal for support.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work on these Aussies. Mixing in the metal parts with the Warlord plastics provides some nice variation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These Aussies are great. The head swaps really add to the character of your project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the varied headgear, but that sniper pair is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blimey, that’s a point bomb to start things off! These look great, the little variations are great (and make painting so much more fun I find)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Top work Millsy, the additional slouch hats are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cracking set of figures mate 👍

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, and that before year’s end! Excellent work, both the painting and the basing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cracking work on those Millsy

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look great Millsy. I am due to start a ww2 Australian force in 20mm soon. I might have to ask you for some tips!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the look of these, great basing and I like that Eureka sniper team a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great set of Aussies for the 8th Army

    ReplyDelete