Thursday 28 December 2023

Ken R : 28mm Garibaldi Wolf Company and History Library (100 points)

 

Entry number 2 of the Challenge for me is more Garibaldi troops but this time something a little bit different. This unit is called "The Wolf Company" and let's face it if you are building an army that has a unit in it with that name, your painting it !


When I walk into a Library I will always go to the History section first so here's the History of this unit to gain me another 20 points and a foothold in the entrance to the AHPC Challenge Library.


The Wolf Company formed part of the The Eber Brigade which was part of the Turr Division when they fought at Volturno in 1860. It was composed of the Bassini and Cossovich Regiments, the Bersaglieri Tanara Battalion, the Foreign Company Wolf and the Hungarian Legion.


The Company was formed by around 250 Swiss defectors from the Bourbon army. They initially wore a dark blue jacket with red facings. Carlo Agrati in his "From Palermo to Volturno" says that the foreign company had new Bourbon uniforms "found" in a warehouse in Caltanissetta. They were blue jackets with green facing, caps in the same color and red trousers. I have represented the unit in the latter "borrowed" kit, there's a bit of guess work involved but I think it looks the biz.

The figures come from the Piedmont range from Gringo40s and are large scale 28mm. The unit has 16 figures based in skirmish order (2 figs per 60 x 30 base) so with 5 points a fig that's 80 with a nice top up of 20 for the Library, 100 in total.


I have a bit of time of work in Jan and Feb so I'm trying to front load my Challenge and get some points on the board before I get busy towards the end of the three months. Next up will be my final unit of Red Shirts

Regards Ken 
The Yarkshire Gamer 

_______________________________________

Lovely brushwork as usual, Ken! I really can't fault you. If there was a unit called the Wolf Company in the mix of the bog-normal-rank-and file, you can be sure I'd be painting it too! They look very smart indeed with their red trousers, blue coats and fancy forage caps.  Well done!

- Curt


31 comments:

  1. Great entry ken, I'm really enjoying these guys and the last post, hopefully more to come, great brush work and colours

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wolf Company is absolutely smashing. Love em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really sharp looking unit. And too good a name to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some sharp looking skirmishers. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta like a Wolf company. Well done Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really sharp colours, very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jamie, all with a black Undercoat as well 😀

      Delete
  7. Great stuff Ken, I really enjoy following your projects

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is very nice to see your Risorgimento project unfolding further, Ken! Who doesn’t like the occasional odd unit? These Wolverines once again look the part, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always learn something new from your posts - not just a pretty sight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on these Piedmontese gys

    ReplyDelete