Thursday 28 December 2023

From SylvainR: Tray 1 - French 1939-1940 - Artillery and transport (106 points)

 Good day Challengers, it's good to be with you all again this year.

I suspect I must be the most predictable painter of the lot. This year again, I'm working on WW2 6mm armies. For those who don't already know, a friend of mine, Robert R. who collected armies for years retired from the hobby 2 years ago and generously gave me his collection.

Last summer, after I finally got my 3-month-delayed package from England containing the staff cars I ordered, I made a little diorama of him as "Colonel Robichaud", commander of the first French forces to fight the German Blitzkrieg near Sedan. The seasoned officer is seen here inspecting a famous "canon de 75" close to the front line on the last day of the Phoney War.


Anyway, over the summer, I spent some time re-basing the miniatures in the collection that were painted while putting aside for the Challenge what was not painted. Here is the first tray with a few units to complete my French 1939-1940 army, namely some artillery pieces and some transport elements.

First, let's take a closer look at the Renault AHS trucks. I needed transport for the third French company of the motorized infantry battalion (fusiliers portés). The French motorized companies have 3 platoons each as opposed to 4 platoons for the non-motorized companies. But then I realized that if I want to use the French army as proxies for other early WW2 armies, like the Greeks or the Poles, I need trucks for a 4th platoon. So that is why some trucks are coded in red or blue, while the majority are coded green.


A close-up on the trucks, showing how a paint job in 6mm scale could look great on the table but sloppy when looked at very close. The models are from GHQ.


Below, eight 105mm howitzers, Schneider modèle 1913, with four 155mm howitzers, GPF (Grande Puissance Filloux) modèle 1917. These were designed for WW1 and still could provide good service in ww2.

A closer look at the 105mm, with a camouflaged shield. The guns and servants are from Heroics&Ros.

And the 155mm with it's very long carriage. I almost had to use a bigger base to fit this gun. The guns and servants are from Heroics&Ros.

Finally, a bunch of staff cars for various duties, like transporting observers and officers. I did a camouflage on some of the vehicles, but the wash on these vehicles turned out to be a little too heavy. I decided not to repaint them, I will just pretend that these cars need to be washed. For the vehicles in the foreground, I sculpted the base as paved road instead of dirt road, for a change.


Close up on the support staff cars. Models from Heroics & Ros.


And a close up on the dedicated transports for the captains of the infantry companies. Models from Heroics & Ros.



Now for points:

48 artillerymen at 1/2 point each = 24 points.

12 artillery pieces at 1 point each = 12 points.

35 vehicles at 2 points each = 70 points

Total = 106 points.

This will also count towards the "Really Little Guys" duel.

Thanks for reading!

__________________________________________

Fabulous work, Sylvain!

I have the distinct pleasure of being able to game with Sylvain and enjoy his wonderful toy soldiers, so it's great to see him adding to his collection with these fine early war French. I especially like the Robichaud command stand with the General inspecting one of the famous 'Soixante-Quinze' (also a great cocktail). Also, fantastic basing and labelling, which is paramount with these little fellas. 

Well done, Sylvain. I look forward to our next game so we may see some of these on the tabletop.

- Curt  

 

16 comments:

  1. really great wee entry, always loved seeing this scale on the table but never ventured into it myself, I'm sure these will look splendid on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super stuff. So much detail considering the scale, especially the guns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get to play with Sylvain’s toys aussi and they look great up close too. Nice work, love the basing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great set of painted minis and a nice diorama. One of the upsides to gaming in a small scale is that you can have lots of cool things like staff cars and fleets of trucks, (as you have ably demonstrated here) that are usually missing at 28mm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff a pod looks superb even if not at distance. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice and as others have pointed out - great detail on such tiny figures

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking set of miniatures, and the basing is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great looking bases there, proper dioramas 👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking fine, , Sylvain. It’s good to see the return of your 6mm goodies to the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous brushwork on those

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great Sylvain. I love the effort on the basework.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love how your micro-armour looks, great to see it continuing, vive la France!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really neat entry! This small scale allows for a better feel for an armoured combat game.

    ReplyDelete