Thursday 4 January 2024

From BruceR: AWI Colonials (70 points)

This is my first post of the new year and I hope all have a great and prosperous new year.  I was away until the 2nd so, I come to you from the middle of the prairie 3.5 hours from home and 45 minutes from any community, where my son manages, on his own, a cattle herd.  So, I try to help him out when I can.  As this is  slow time I’m spending the time feeding cows and making sure all is in order, while he takes some time off in the warmer parts of the US.

Relaxing, being alone, with 4 dog helpers and 3 horses, to compliment the 300+ angus.  I did manage to bring a mobile paint station, of course forgetting a couple of high-end items. Tufts for basing and reading glasses.  So, submitting without my usual grass and tufts, and painting with bifocals. 

Other than that, sitting in a fireplace heated room with 4 hounds around me painting, is not so bad.

I’m trying to work some of my backlog and this submission is a group of AWI colonials (ungrateful colonists to those across the pond) from Brigade Games.  I did some of these either last year or two challenges ago and as always didn’t paint them all.  Actually, they were primed.  There are 14 of them with 5 figures I’ll use as lights with the chain cap and round hat. I've chosen to use the standard blue jacket with red trim.  We use Sharp Practice 2 to play games and I've amassed to full forces for each.  

As mobile I hope you forgive the photos and lack of ground grass.   


A sampling of my charges



The group painted in relaxation.  Lighting is not the best.



I'm here until Sunday so imagine I'll get a couple of more figures done this week as it gets dark here around 4:30.    

Points:

14 28mm at 5 pts  =  70 points

TeemuL: That looks quite inspiring painting view, too bad you forgot your glasses and some other tools. Those colonials look very nice, without tufts they might be fighting in more arid environment, perhaps?

14 comments:

  1. Great job . A part of the US I would love to visit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have done a wonderful job Bruce, without my glasses I wouldn't be able to paint anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work! Atmospheric photos of your charges as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks stunning and the figures are great

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific, clean brushwork, Bruce. I like your company - far easier to get along with than 'civilization' I'd expect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great set of patriots, it sounds like you have a relaxing place to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great. The angus shot’s appearances to have lots of tufts. Maybe you can borrow some from there? 😁

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work on the figures, and the location looks lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spot on, painting in splendid isolation, perfect 👍

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your time with your son. Nice figures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lovely entry and good to see pictures of the great outdoors

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like an evnironment where you could use a good fireplace! You've made good work with your figures too, basing looks great

    ReplyDelete