Thursday 4 January 2024

From MartinC: AWI Continental Army [History] (80pts)

At the Battleground Show in Stockton on Tees, one of my local shows and a cracker, I bought a 2nd hand painted AWI 10mm army. It needed rebasing and some of figures had the foggy varnish issue. So I have spend the last 3 days rebasing, touching up the cloudy figures and painting the figures I needed to complete the units. It was a ball ache.


The whole army - 28 battalions (1 base = 1 battalion), 3 cannon and a couple of small units of milita cavalry). Somewhere in this are 15 musicians and standard bearers that I painted up.


The only full units I actually painted were the 2 militia cavalry units, from Pendraken (who also run the Battleground Show).
These will get action as both AWI Continentals and in my ImagiNation campaign as settlers / revolutionaries.

Scores on the doors

15 x 10mm cavalry = 45
15 x 10mm musicians and standard bearers = 15
Historical library section (Dewey Decimal code 970) = 20

total =80pts

TeemuL: Whole army in one post. :) Yes, not everything was painted for this Challenge or by Martin, but a nice entry still. It is not nice to use the Challenge hobby time to rebasing, but sometimes it is needed. What is also needed are the labels on the post (which I added), but I let it go this time. I am sure this project was painful, but at least it is now finished - or is it?

26 comments:

  1. Cheers Teemu, that's twice in 2 posts I've forgotten to add labels. Getting rusty in my old age. I think it's "finished"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool minis! Which rules are you planning to use them with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta, play Honours of War, 7YW rules. Simple and elegant

      Delete
  3. Finished, I don’t understand that concept. Fine looking army Martin. Pendraken do some fine figures on 10mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. Thanks, pendraken are my local manufacturer and one of my favourites

      Delete
  4. I’m often guilty of buying half finished projects that I think will get finished quickly and easily…. And they often are neither! Very nice job with these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad they are done. 2nd hand is a pain, but I have loads in 3 days

      Delete
  5. Lovely, always enjoy seeing people bring old collections back to life 👍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful work Martin. It's often more difficult to refurbish other's work than just doing the whole thing yourself. Silly question: What are the little posts for? Do you use beads, or some sort of markers to put onto them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, it was a joyful pain. The 2 pins are for brigade recognition, use brightly coloured children's craft beads, and for wound markers, use numbered beads from eBay. Honours of war rule have 3 wounds is battered, 4 wounds is retreat and 5 wounds is routed

      Delete
  7. Bonkers - my AWi up nextish i think

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff Martin. Refurbishing is always a painful process. Hope your battles go well. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I have a sore hand from using pin vice, should have used the dremel

      Delete
  9. Very nice- I find myself circling the AWI with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole mid to late 18th century is one of my favourites. Ta

      Delete
  10. Stockton is just a couple of miles from my hometown, though I've never been to the Battleground show. Someday perhaps.
    Nice work on refurbishing these minis, the army looks great all laid out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great entry Martin, tidying things up can be tiresome but getting such good results and an army on the table so quickly is a real bonus

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to see the army mustered, nice job bringing them into order!

    ReplyDelete