Wednesday 31 January 2024

From DaveD: "Ayo Gorkhali!" - & German WW2 kit , terrain bits (518 points)


 I haven't just been painting 10mm Old Guard - oh no. So having shown you a taster before Christmas with 6 skirmishers - it is time for a proper DaveD sized unit of Ghurkas !




These lads are going to do duty in the Soudan as part of the Indian army detachment - as a 48 figure unit with 18 skirmishers and also in the North West Frontier as two smaller 24 figure battalions and skirmishers . Martin says he wants to see them up the Hindu Kush with his back of beyond stuff soon.






They are from the Perry Victoria's Little Wars range. I have them based a little looser on a wider base than my normal close order infantry to reflect their open order rifleman deployment. 

MartinC and I have a game booked in Feb to test these lads' mettle. 

Scoring for these, its 60 fresh 28mm fig = 300 points and hey - that also puts me over my initial target . I will take it up to 1500 I think. 

I also had a “Tiger” in the to do pile - no not a tank a proper Tiger - it will be added to the Vietnam collection -



I already  have the PBR so it will be used for a “Don’t get out of the boat !” Scenario. It’s made by Gringos40 , 1 28mm = 5 points 

Next up comes the transport for my 15mm Normandy 44 collection. My Panzer Grenadiers have been without their own dedicated transport for too long  - it’s been sitting there prepped with Dunkelgelb for a few years so it’s now it is time to fix that.



Classic Hanomag 251’s x 8 with MG , 1 with Pak  and 2 mortar support . A couple of 250’s , 2x 20mm AA half tracks , a couple of tractors for my previously completed 88’s , and a Kubelwagon with some officer passengers . There are 18 of these vehicles and 46 passengers/crew  and drivers . Most of these are Battlefront kits with extra stowage added.

 

Aerials added from my trusty fishing line stash.




While I had the airbrush out to do the usual German 3 colour camo back in December  I added a couple of Tiger tanks that had come my way ready built from James M , they just needed a paint job.

So 20 x 15mm Vehicles = 160 points and 46 , crew/drivers/passengers etc= 23 pts = 183

While I was at it I had two 3d printed log covered MG bunkers so I did those as well , 1 point for them as they are each 2x1x1 so 4 cubics .

This I think pretty much completes my German forces for Normandy, maybe just need a bit of SP Artillery at some point .well put it this way the storage box for these is full , so if I get any more it’s going to be a big top up to make it worthwhile . JamesM of this parish and I are intending to do some D Day games again this year - well as it’s the 80th anniversary why not eh . 

So the natural extension from summer ‘44 is into the winter - and the Battle of Bulge . I have the stuff sourced for it - it’s seasoning in the lead pile . 

I have decided to start with some of the basic terrain first . In the stash I have a load of Woodland Scenics tree armatures , so I have completed a test on a few trees , using rubberised horsehair to make the branches /foliage part . Overall pleased with a first attempt . 




MartinC has completed some Finns recently for 7DTTR / TY - so I think this might also be a winter off shoot project and allow my Soviets to crush those as well .


Size of the group is 5x5x3 = 1/3 of a terrain cube = so call it 6 points 


28mm , 61 = 305

15mm Vehicles  x 20 = 160

15mm crew /passengers /drivers x 46  etc = 23 46

Terrain bits = 7 

Back to the jungles of SE Asia next I think and the 10mm stuff or maybe the Hindu Kush , we shall see where the muse takes me. 

huzzah! 


Huzzah indeed! In true Davidian style another points bomb. And what's not to like here? However, when pressed I might say that the Ghurkas are my favourites. Now that's what you can call a unit!  Very impressive. But the German armour is also very fine, and the trees nothing to be ashamed of in the least. Very well done, and ever onwards to the new target! Which you are appraoching faster than you think, as the infallible Spreadsheet of Doom still awards your 46 15mm half figures 1 point each. So 518 points!

Martijn







35 comments:

  1. Love those Gurkhas and the tiger Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Tiger was a surprise find after message exchange with Ged from Gringos.

      Delete
  2. That tiger is really cute -- not that I'd like to meet him, and I love how neat all your German armour is -- great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing - great paint job and such a big unit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks , too long in the making … but pleased with the result

      Delete
  5. Another blast of points! The 15mms are great indeed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my you have been busy. Great looking AFVs, but I'm really loving those Ghurkas most of all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed yes these have been worked on since December on and off - nice they both came together in the same week

      Delete
  7. Monster, monster, monster. About time you put that retirement to good use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheeky… I have been at work today …casting French Paras , British Commandos and horses .. it’s a hard life

      Delete
  8. Booooom! there goes a Docherty points bomb of much loveliness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful work Dave. Especially love that mob of Ghurkas. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx - they have come out well … I am looking forward to the opposition in due course

      Delete
  10. Love the work on the vehicles and Ghurkas. The camonis perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking German transport but the Ghurkas remind me of The men who would be kings so they're obviously my favourites!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Billy fish , kindly donated by MartinC!

      Delete
  12. Holy smokes, that's a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work and points bomb Dave. Love the Gurkhas and the transport. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it was about time you did a smack down with a great points bomb full of brilliant eye candy, it's a hard one for me but the German armour I think is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a points bomb again! Lovely work, those ghurkas look good in loose formation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - yes they have come out well. I am not a great fan of sabot type bases as they are too spaced out IMHO

      Delete
  16. Brilliant Dave, love the basing on the Ghurkas

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done Dave, quite the opus!

    ReplyDelete