Wednesday 31 January 2024

From PhilH: Mooning about the Fantasy and Children’s Sections


When I visited with the Snowlord, he kindly introduced me to the whimsical fantasy skirmish game Moonstone. Turns out he has solid taste in games and it’s super good fun: a surprisingly tightly-designed tactical game with deep gameplay, unique models, many of which are daft as a brush. There’s also a decent community at my local store and a good friend bought in, so I’ve been collecting the Leshavult faction, playing and painting quite a lot of it in recent months.

So, for my next two library locations, a couple of Moonstone characters. I expect you’ll see a few more from me before the Challenge is out.

 


First, the faun wizard Gloom. His signature is to Shadow Walk about the table, so I tried to work with the light of the lamp as the focus for the miniature, and the rest of him dark and shadowy. He’s my choice for the Fantasy section.



Second, the delightfully dorky Jackalope. Being fluffy and cuddly it will be my submission for the Children’s section. It’s also quite vicious on the table.




I leave it to my esteemed minion whether the Jackalope counts as a monster, Gloom as a 28mm foot miniature and two locations makes ?..  


Another fine submission, Phil! Gloom is great, and the osl effect is pretty convincing. I like the dark, muted colours and the contrast with the lighter parts. Well done indeed!  The Jackalope is very good as well, perhaps not the best gift to comfort a child of a nervous disposition, but a fine paint job. As I hear that it measures about 35mm to the top of the hump, I will not score it as a monster, but I’ll consider it a 40mm figure; so 7 points. You may be walking rather close to the edge here, but I suppose, with a little imagination (which is not something I am particularly know for), it might be seen as “something darker for the children”. Which brings you another 52 points.

Martijn

17 comments:

  1. Really great submission Phil -- the lighting effect on Mr Gloom is very well done and for once perfectly positioned cross eyes is just waht the jackalope called for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My - exqiuisite! Love that Jackalope!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice minis and both so different in style. I'll need to find a children's book about jackalopes to read with my 8 year old...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work here Phil! A good squeeze on points too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Jackalope- that is wonderful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was fun to have you game with us last summer Phil, I hadn't realized that you'd been Moonstone infected in the process. Excellent work on these two figures, you did managed to make the jackalope look really dorky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lovely pair of weirdness Phil. I think the Jackalope wins out of my favorite of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous work on these Phil. I love the OSL on Gloom and your Jackalope is suitably adorable (it's the eyes). I'm happy our summer game made a good impression on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendid pair of figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sinister work on these two!

    ReplyDelete
  11. rather dark and sinister entry but I love it, the painting is of a very high standard. great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent figures. Foreboding with warm and fuzzy. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great fantasy figure painting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that Jackalope. Just makes me think of the Pixar short though 😉

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely entry - the paintwork on the Jackalope is just superb

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are absolutely fantastic PhilH

    ReplyDelete