Sunday 21 January 2024

From RichardM: A unit of Stradiot Light Cavalry for the Italian Wars (60 points)

My much delayed first post. Nevertheless here it is.

I have started with a unit of 4 light cavalry Stradiots using TAG miniatures in 28mm. 
 
The horses have been painted with the oil wipe method, which I like as it gives good depth to the colour and does not require much thought to get the highlights and shading in the correct places. As it is messy and takes some time to dry, it is not something that I want to do on 4 horses alone so there are another 8 (2 units of light cavalry) mounted crossbowmen that were done at the same time - the crossbowmen need to be painted.

I have great plans to build on my already existing Italian Wars armies in 28mm during this year's Challenge.  

In addition to the crossbowmen mentioned above, I've also got quite a few Spanish arquebusiers primed and in various stages of commencement and some vignettes on the tray also primed. I may throw in the odd building as well as I usually spend all my time doing figures and then need to catch up on the terrain. 

Points earned: 
- 4 mounted at 10 points each 

Thanks 
Richard

Welcome to the day of Firsts for sure! And a good entry to go with it!
Am guessing by the term Oil Wipe.. its literally slap oil paints on the model, and then wipe the excess off? Great method for sure, with easy to replicate results!
I've also taken the liberty to give you the History Section points. So 60 pts to start you off here!
Congrats and welcome
Kyle

19 comments:

  1. For large groups of horses the oil wipe method produces great results. Nice work on the riders as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love what you've done here, I've painted quite a few of these figures they are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great - I'm intrigued by the oil wipe method.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great first post Richard, your painting is very good! I also really like the scenic setup you used for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great first entry Richard. Damn fine painting Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the stradiots, especially the funky hats! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cavalry Richard and like others I'll be looking into that painting technique

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very neat minis and welcome back to Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome Richard! Stradiots just seem like a troop type that needs to be painted strictly because of the hats! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always great to see Stradiots! Yours are wonderful, I do like the hats. Excellent work on the horseflesh too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful looking group- I have always liked those Stradiot figures. At one time I had this notion to get some and do some head conversions and shield swaps to turn them into 11th C. Andalusian nobles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't been bold enough to try the oil wipe- it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always like me a good (bad?) Stradiot. Basket hats for the win! These look better than good by a big margin. Well done Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oil wipe is the way to go, great Stradiots 👍

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent cavalry Richard. I’m Lays looking for horse painting methods and will have to try the oil wipe in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for all the great comments.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete