Wednesday 21 February 2024

From KenR : 1/700 HMS Calcutta - Maritime Library (80 points)

 

When I saw the Maritime section in the Libary it wasn't too hard for me to think of a suitable entry, after all last years 1/700 WW2 Naval Project won the Challengers Choice ! I hadn't done much on the Project after last year's Challenge and I have been mostly working on the Mentana Game so it was lovely to get back on the water again.

This is a 1/700 scale model from Trumpeter representing HMS Calcutta, a C Class Light Cruiser of the Royal Navy as she would have looked in 1941 whilst serving in the Mediterranean.

The ship was built at the end of the first World War but was commissioned too late to see action. Calcutta served in Norway, at Dunkirk and in the Med where she was sunk by German aircraft on 1st June 1941 off Alexandria.

Initially armed with single mounted 6" Guns the ship was re armed as an AA Light Cruiser in 1939 and was fitted out with 4 dual QF 4" Guns as well as a quad 2 pounder in the front superfiring position (which looks a bit wierd !)

I've painted the ship in its dazzle camo pattern from the Med, rather than just go for a straight grey with a ship I prefer to go for a more interesting look and I'm getting to be a bit of a dab hand with the masking tape and air brush after a bit of practice.

Points wise I've gone for 60 for the ship. Last year I didn't do any Light Cruisers but was scoring 40 for Destroyers and 120 for Battleships so 60 is about right, added to that is 20 for the Library Maritime bonus, giving a total of 60. I've started a Liberty Ship as well as the Pike Block I have on the go.


***

Great to see your 1/700 naval efforts making a return to the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge once more Ken! The model ship looks incredible, and as always it is fun to read about its service - although it seems depressing to be refitted specifically for anti-aircraft duties, and get sunk by aircraft anyway!

What I love most about these 1/700 ships is that you can really see them and get a feel for them - and your basing really adds to that sense too. I gather that this large scale throws a wrench in things when trying to have the models on a table of any sort of size...but wow, it looks great!

If you say 60 points for this, that works for me! Toss in the Maritime bonus, and that is 80 points for you. Well done!

GregB

22 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that is massive and what kind of table would you play on or do you use the floor, It just look so good can't wait to see more and I need to go back and look at last years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, my club own an old cinema so space is not an problem, 32 x 8 would be a normal table 😀

      Delete
  2. Wow! This looks so real, and I love the dazzle camo pattern

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely light cruiser, Ken. Too bad she didn't measure up to her stated purpose - hopefully she went down swinging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, rather ironic than she was sunk by aircraft after her upgrade

      Delete
  4. Great work on the dazzle and the dynamic base.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent camo and water effect Ken. This project is amaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome looking ship and basing, your ships were some of my favourite posts from last year and this one is equally as good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another incredible looking boat Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see you returning to this craziness Ken! The RN got pretty good mileage out of those C class AA conversions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, nothing like getting your monies worth !

      Delete
  9. Good to see you on the ocean waves again Ken - enjoyed the podcast with the Salute guys by the way

    ReplyDelete