Wednesday 21 February 2024

From JP - 28mm Afghan Cavalry and 1/600 ACW Naval (178 points)

I've slowed down a bit due to some travel, but I'm having another run at things this week.

First off, I have half a dozen Afghan cavalry from Foundry. I remain very partial to this range in spite of other, more recent manufacturers - maybe nostalgia, or just good solid sculpts by the Perry brothers?

They are meant for the cut down version of The Sword And The Flame (by which I mean units of 6 horse and 10 foot vs 12 horse and 20 foot). I have slowly built these up after getting out of the Indian Mutiny as I am still attached to the NWF.









 
Having completed the Section, I will walk over to Maritime. These are 1/600 STLs of ACW vessels by David Manly, from the Wargames Vault.. The detail level is astounding, with areas you can literally look through. I collect ACW naval in 1/1200, my buddy here collects them in 1/600. So I decided to paint these up for him as a gift, which he collected this weekend. My son-in-law printed them in both scales. I highly recommend them, though the masts and flagpoles are fragile and should be replaced with fine (read very fine) hollow copper tubing.

I was not sure how to count them, due to size. I am tentatively counting them as one mounted 28mm fig each, and one foot 28mm for the small vessel. The last photo contains a 28mm pack mules for scale. Please correct if necessary.







 
I have used Sarah's taxi to take me to the Gift Corner and another one to come back. These are Otherworld Miniatures - and you already know they are my favourite manufacturer of fantasy figs. 












So, points wise, if I am doing this right:

    6 x Afghan horse             =  60 points
    4 x large 1/600 ships       =  40 points
    1 x small 1/600 ship        =   5  points
    2 x 28mm fantasy foot    =  10 points
    Maritime                         =  20 points
    Gift Shop by taxi            =  20 points

    Total                               =  155 points.

Thanks for looking them over. All thoughts for improving them are welcome!!

***

Great to have another submission from you JP! Lots to enjoy here, but for me the standouts are the Afghan cavalry. As you say, the Foundry sculpts are great classic figures, and I do find myself in a somewhat odd situation in a couple of the historical periods I collect where I get 28mm from the Perrys' current company, and supplement it with sculpts from Wargames Foundry which were...sculpted by the Perrys! 

Naval scoring is always the worst, and makes me long for all naval submissions to just be banned from the Challenge, but based on my research into other 1/600 precedents this morning, I would rate your larger ships at 15 points each. So all in you have another 178 points toward your total.

A reminder to please include labels in your draft post, to help with the data for the site and the Challenge!

GregB

16 comments:

  1. Love those venerable Foundry Afghans, I have a few kicking around in my collection.

    However, seriously loving those ACW 3d prints. Just about everything David Manley touches is gold and those models are as excellent as one would expect from a someone who teaches Naval Architecture. We've had great fun with his Dahlgren and Columbiad and Broadside and Salvo Rules, even the most naval-adverse gamers enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta! Manley's work is gold indeed. I have long been a fan of his rules and the STLs are lovely.

      Delete
  2. Great work on the Otherworld lasses (I agree, they are one of the best figure manufacturers out there), and wonderful ACW ships (great tip on replacing the resin pointy bits with metal rod/tube), but I'm with Greg, the standouts for me are the Afghan cavalry - such characterful models and your use of colour is excellent. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you. Most important to me is using realistic, darker, dustier and worn colours for troops. As for Otherworld, fabulous - I regret Richard is retiring!

      Delete
  3. Nice Afghan figs indeed .love the ACW boats too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Otherworld figures, I may have to spend time down that rabbit hole 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice cav, and the Otherworld figures are good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. really liking the Afghan cavalry, It's a period I keep thinking I'd like to start but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice adventurers,excellent maritime and Afghans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work all round JP, especially the Afghan's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Afghans and ACW boats. Really enjoy the fantasy figures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely entry JP - love the river boats

    ReplyDelete