Wednesday 21 February 2024

From ShawnD - Tortured Tree from Fey Rift Forest and Cursed Oasis Pool (30 points)

These are terrain pieces from my FDM printer.  I didn't know if I could use FDM for terrain but I'm surprised and really happy with these pieces.  The painting was fun, I used an Army Painter Brush on Primer and the new Speed Paint 2.0.  Good fun here and starting to feel good about my painting skills. I built up the primer to eliminate as many of the filament lines as possible.  I am guessing this is around 20 points.  Dimensions 3" radius and 5" tall.

You will often find tortured hulks of once majestic trees all but consumed by the influence of the Pannithor rift.  Some say this is all that is left of a Fey army, sensing and ordered in place to help stabilize The Rift.  No race dared explore or investigate the massive forest, fearing not only the Abyssal races but also the 'enchantment of terror' that had been passed along by the ale bards.  The effects of which are rumored to be a mind fog, months of hearing the screeching wail of the Fey, and nightmares of being burned alive. The forest is impassable and most travellers give the forest a wide path.





This is another FDM print, I had to shrink it to 50% because of my printer bed size.   There are a lot of firsts for me in this model and paint.   This is the first time I've used epoxy to represent water.   It was not bad and it blends well with the FDM blue-painted ridges.  This is the first time I've used the dry brush technique.  It was a real learning session with that technique, in my opinion, it's not as easy as it looks.  I used a wash on the columns as well.  I'm not loving that part of the piece but I got the bleeding obelisk effect I was going for.  I would print another one of these and paint it.  I had fun for sure.  I think this is worth 60 points, but I could be wrong.  Dimensions: 6" x 6" x 3".

What is pictured is one of many Wicked Oasis located in Pannithor.  Scattered around Pannithor this particular oasis is located east of the Wailing Mountain range in the Wastes of Ophibia.  Placed centuries ago, but Elven Priests.  After the betrayal and murder of the priest Naiadriel by a General of the Empires of Dust, while bathing and refreshing (these oases weren't always cursed, they once were located across trade and travel routes) from a long journey.  The waters of the fountain and the priest's blood mixed causing all the oasis across Pannithor to bleed from the obelisk towers.  The waters remain the purest around, but the constant blood streaming down and fierce waking dreams the oasis is rumored to cause,  Many a traveler have skipped the oasis and eventually died to lack of water.  




***

Hi Shawn - some interesting work here, always fascinating to see what the 3D-printing people can get up to, and it seems to get better and better all the time. Great that you can work up some terrain and tie it nicely to a setting you are keen on (I think it is "Empire of Dust"? Apologies for my literary ignorance). Certainly looks very nice.

In terms of scoring, we do this, as Curt says, using the "imperfect-but-it-works" cube system. The tree is large, but doesn't fill a whole "cube" - I'll give you half a "cube" for that, as a piece of nice scatter terrain. The fountain fills up a cube, and wow, using epoxy to create some water...talk about a hobby bridge I would be too scared to cross! Looks great too. All in that is 30 points for you.

Great work!

GregB

10 comments:

  1. Great work on these very nice terrain bits

    ReplyDelete
  2. very interesting and well painted nice terrain pieces

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great terrain pieces. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent looking terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Shawn. Love the tortured tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work. Well done on braving the epoxy, a braver man than I.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great looking terrain - the pool is even more awesome in the flesh than in these pictures

    ReplyDelete