Wednesday 21 February 2024

From AndrewB - Orcs and Craters! On Mars? Children’s Book! (105 points)

Smaller week than normal this Wednesday, but after my haul seven short days ago, I’ll let it slide.  

First, to go along with my Martians I painted last week, fleshing out the terrain for a wonderful game coming up, I ran through a load of craters for some good scatter terrain on the Martian surface!  




I’m not 100%sure these won’t get some tufts or somesuch into the future, but for now they’re ready to rock, and performed sterling service in a full test and lay of the scenario yesterday!   Turns out, getting some textured grit on really takes away from the visual layer lines from where I 3D printed these bad boys!  I tossed in a ruler this time, and some are just over, and some are just under 6 inches   I couldn’t get them to all stand up on top of one another, but at somewhere around 3/4” tall, they stack right up to about filling a 6x6x6” cube!   More of these are probably in my future!  I make a large mat to play this game on as well, but I have no idea how I’d score that, so it’s a wash   

Next, as a bit of a breather, and straight out of 11-13year old AndrewB’s favorite book series, Lord of the Rings!  Some old GW orc models, as well as some I 3D printed from Medbury Miniatures on myminifactory!  Tolkien had a huge impact on my childhood with his writing and the later movies, and it’s cool to get a crack at these minis, which are a long-term (can check previous AHPCs).  



They’re wild figures, but so like them, and they get me one step closer to fielding a massive host of Orcs!  

In terms of points this week, I have 20 for the terrain, 12 28mm figures, including one mounted, for 65, and 20 for the Children’s Book section!   Total of 105, but I’ll come back next week swinging!  See you then!
 
***
Hi Andrew - that does seem to be a LOT of craters, but when I look at those crazy cool photos of the Martian surface that NASA releases courtesy of their various rovers, it seems like a good idea to have plenty of them on hand if you want a Martian gaming table.
 
The Orcs look very nice too - although it would be great if you could take some close ups so we could see them. Interesting to see 3D prints for the Tolkien setting (don't let GW's lawyers know!) - from what I can make out, I see a lot of looks that remind me of the Orcs as presented in the Peter Jackson films, but also some unique or more classical aspects too. Are those the reasons that drew you to the 3D option? Or was it price? Availability? All of the above, or none? Just curious. 
 
Another 105 points for you!
 
GregB

8 comments: